Additional Flash Storage Memory or RAM?

Reaction score
Greetings, I am exploring the possibility of diving into the Mac computer system market. However, before doing so, I have a question or seeking recommendations from current users. I am looking at the MacBook Pro with Retina display. My question is, if you were to choose a platform, would you get one with additional Flash Storage Memory (256 GB vs 128 GB) or increase the memory from the currently offered size of 8 GB to 16 GB of RAM. Also, please include an explanation as to why you would select one over the other. I am willing to do one but not both as I am not fond of paying close to $2,000 for a laptop computer. Thank in advance for your input.

Reaction score
If you're only doing one, do ram. You can always add an external drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
If you're only doing one, do ram. You can always add an external drive.

I was originally leaning towards the larger SSD but then after reading that once a selection is made it is permanent, I started to second guess myself by justifying that, as you stated, I can always add additional storage space via external method vs not ever being able to upgrade the speed of the RAM which could make a difference in the multi-tasking of running applications. I am not an expert on computers or how they operate but this was my thinking. Am I to far off base and shouldn't worry so much about the multi-tasking? However. I received the below comment on the Apple forum and the responder got some valid points and a comparison graphic...

"Though it will be more expensive, a storage increase gets my nod over RAM. The reason is simple: SSD's mitigate the need for additional RAM and when in portable mode, I do not like the prospect of hauling an external HDD with its umbilical cord."

"The difference, in an SSD environment, between 8 GB RAM and 16 GB RAM is quite small. Between 4 GB RAM and 8 GB RAM it is significant. Focus on the dark blue columns. After 8 GB RAM, you are entering the area of the 'law of diminishing returns'. If you can afford it, get both but I submit that any performance decreases due to not having more that 8 GB RAM will be very rare."

Screen+Shot+2015-08-07+at+7.46.18+AM.png

Reaction score
His reasoning is, since the SSD is so fast, not having enough ram and using virtual memory, amounts to the same amount of work.
It depends on what you use the computer for. If you're browsing and email and such then 8 gig is fine.
Get to using Photoshop type apps and/or gaming and you'll wish you had the ram.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.