Need Clock Dial Help...

Reaction score
One of my hobbies is restoring vintage clocks. Many of them have dials that are wrecked from age. I want to be able to restore and sometimes, enhance them with other graphics, but still retain their original graphics as well.
What programs do I need to be able to do this, with out getting too expensive. I have a Macbook Pro.

C

chas_m

One of my hobbies is restoring vintage clocks. Many of them have dials that are wrecked from age. I want to be able to restore and sometimes, enhance them with other graphics, but still retain their original graphics as well.

What programs do I need to be able to do this, with out getting too expensive. I have a Macbook Pro.

Do I understand you to actually mean the clock face? That you want to be able to draw and then print out a replica clock face?

If so, then what you're looking for is a drawing program. Let me know if I'm on the right path, and I can advise you further.

OP
D
Reaction score
Do I understand you to actually mean the clock face? That you want to be able to draw and then print out a replica clock face?

If so, then what you're looking for is a drawing program. Let me know if I'm on the right path, and I can advise you further.
Yes, that's right. I also want to be able to add some graphics to the new face. I just got Affinity Photo and Designer in hopes that I could use these to do what I want to do. I really do wish I could take a class in this or get a step-by-step tutorial. I'm so computer illiterate. That's one of the reasons I got a Macbook to begin with...it's so much more intuitive than my PC.

C

chas_m

There's no such thing as pro-level software that is easy to master. Some are more easy to "get into" than others, but to really learn them ... well, that's why they are considered "pro" programs.

The first thing you should figure out is whether you need a drawing program, or a pixel-editing program. Designer (or Illustrator, or the currently-free Intaglio) is a drawing program, Photo (Pixelmator, Photoshop) is a pixel editor.

OP
D
Reaction score
There's no such thing as pro-level software that is easy to master. Some are more easy to "get into" than others, but to really learn them ... well, that's why they are considered "pro" programs.

The first thing you should figure out is whether you need a drawing program, or a pixel-editing program. Designer (or Illustrator, or the currently-free Intaglio) is a drawing program, Photo (Pixelmator, Photoshop) is a pixel editor.

Wow...don't know which I need. I want to take an existing clock dial, clean it up and maybe ad graphics to it. Which do you think I'll need? I got both Photo and Designer. I haven't a clue what I need to do it or how to start.
Someone told me to scan a dial and start playing with it, but in which program, Photo or Designer? Which would allow me to do the things I want to do, then print out a dial to mount on a clock?

C

chas_m

I'm afraid I can't answer that for you, since I don't know exactly what you have in mind to add to the clock faces. If you're drawing something to be added, or created a restoration of (let's say) lost numbers that have faded away by redrawing them, you need a drawing program. If you were, for example, adding a scanned company logo or something like that to it, you'd want a photo editor.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't answer that for you, since I don't know exactly what you have in mind to add to the clock faces. If you're drawing something to be added, or created a restoration of (let's say) lost numbers that have faded away by redrawing them, you need a drawing program. If you were, for example, adding a scanned company logo or something like that to it, you'd want a photo editor.

Yes. I want to be able to add logos or other pics or graphics that I may find. In my analog mind, the work flow would go something like this...
I'd scan a good dial, then scan a logo or pic or copy it off the internet, then insert it onto the dial. Is that the basic sequence I'd follow or am I way off? How would I do this using Affinity Photo? What would the specific work flow be if I wanted to add a logo?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.