How to access iTunes purchases from new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06 ghz 2x2gb 1tb purchased sept 2009
My previous hard drive died. Still waiting to see if they can recover anything from it. When I sign into iTunes on the new one, it does not show any of my purchases. When I look into my account information, it says: "One computer is authorized to play content purchased with this Apple ID." I can see how to edit all the other parts of the account, but not this. Does this mean I will not be able to upload all of my purchased songs even if I can retrieve them from the old hard drive?

C

chas_m

No, it means you need to clear and re-authorize the computer. From any web browser, you can sign into your iTunes account go into the settings, and de-authorize all computers. From iTunes, you can then authorize the computer you're using.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you can't recover the songs from the hard drive you can download them from the Music store again by logging into your account and going to purchases.

FYI for anyone reading this post:Don't count on re-downloading as a means of replacing missing / deleted content. Content which was available when you purchased it may not be available now due to changes in licensing agreements.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06 ghz 2x2gb 1tb purchased sept 2009
Let me start by saying I never even use iTunes, this is all of my husband's collection from over the years. I found out that the main problem was that almost all of the iTunes songs were downloaded under an old Apple ID connected to a non-existent e-mail. I had to sign in using that old account, with the e-mail long dead, to gain access to them. But in the process of signing in (or trying to) so many times, it went from saying that it was authorized on 1 computer to saying that it was authorized on 4. So learning how to de-authorize old computers will be helpful. As always you guys have saved me time fussing and getting frustrated. Thanks to you all!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.