can't establish a secure connection

Reaction score
Elie222 wrote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I have a 24inch iMac running OS 10.6.6.
I can't access any site starting with https.
Safari gives the error message:
"Cannot establish secure connection with server"
I have googled for a solution and I see a couple of people had a lot of trouble with this problem, but I can't figure out a solution.

The problem occurs on all accounts on my computer - both admin and non-admin accounts. I have the same problem with FireFox and Chrome.
I have exactly the same problem and have tried ALL the solutions with no joy
There must be an answer as this goes back to 2011 can you point me to it??

Last edited:
C

chas_m

10.6.6 hasn't been current for five years, and has been completely unsupported for about a year now. Update to a newer OS and I'll bet that problem "magically" goes away. You can start by updating to 10.6.8, which will give you the Mac App Store.

OP
K
Reaction score
Please note Chas- I said I have same problem Today (using OS 10.9.5) so there should be a solution out there by now. It has only appeared in the last few months, on all Browsers, on some sites. I've changed the Modem. Checked neighbors portable Mac, Checked via a PC. All OK
Have now wiped the Anti Virus and got some success. Now waiting for the next "Update"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Please note Chas- I said I have same problem Today (using OS 10.9.5) so there should be a solution out there by now. It has only appeared in the last few months, on all Browsers, on some sites. I've changed the Modem. Checked neighbors portable Mac, Checked via a PC. All OK
Have now wiped the Anti Virus and got some success. Now waiting for the next "Update"

Hi Klem.. - welcome to the forum! :) Your opening post is completely misleading - why start w/ another's 4-year old post related to an old OS X version, and w/o mentioning what equipment or OS X you are using - duh - :Confused:

We now know that you have Mavericks (i.e. OS X 10.9.x) - please provide further information on your computer (model/year) and also your network (modem, router, ISP). Also, did this problem start when you installed AV software, and are you sure that the program and it's hidden remnants have been 'wiped' from your hard drive? Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
klem are you by chance using WEP? From memory cannot recall if Snow leopard can handle WPA2 Personal which is much stronger encryption.

OP
K
Reaction score
OK I'll try to give you all the Info- I've been chasing a solution all over the internet so may have missed some. It started after I installed "Yosemite" 10.9.5 and the anti virus. both worked OK on my 24" 2007 2.4 GHz Mac, N300 Modem viaEthernet cable. Removed Anti virus via program uninstall, Scanned via CMM3.
Youtube/Trademe via Firefox OK - via Chrome OK. But Safari still gives trouble?
Seems to happen when there is a http in the address,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
AV and CMM3 you answeed it all. Also no Mackeeper one trusts? OS x.9.5 is actually Mavericks.

OP
K
Reaction score
So when I requested the Yosemite upgrade and I got the message No updates avaible, am I being told my 2007 Mac has reached the end? Should I not bother?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
OK I'll try to give you all the Info- I've been chasing a solution all over the internet so may have missed some. It started after I installed "Yosemite" 10.9.5 and the anti virus. both worked OK on my 24" 2007 2.4 GHz Mac, N300 Modem viaEthernet cable. Removed Anti virus via program uninstall, Scanned via CMM3.
Youtube/Trademe via Firefox OK - via Chrome OK. But Safari still gives trouble?
Seems to happen when there is a http in the address,

So when I requested the Yosemite upgrade and I got the message No updates avaible, am I being told my 2007 Mac has reached the end? Should I not bother?

Hello again - just looked up your 2007 computer on Every Mac (details first image below - assume AL vs. white - click the link for more details) - according to this site, the model came w/ 1 GB RAM (upgradeable to 4 GB & possibly 6 GB) & a 320 GB HD - quoted below from the specs suggests that your machine can be upgraded to Yosemite (i.e. 10.10.x), but do you really want to?

Your computer is 8 years old - you need at least 4 GB RAM to run Mavericks or Yosemite; your HD if original may fail at any moment (fail rates escalate after 3-4 years w/ mechanical drives), and its sales value online is less than $100, at least as estimated at Sell Your Mac (second image). SO, I don't know what your budget may be, but a new, used, or refurbished computer is likely your best choice in my opinion - hopefully, others will 'chime in' and comment - Dave :)

*This system can run the current version of OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" -- as well as the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" and OS X 10.9 "Mavericks" -- if upgraded to at least 2 GB of RAM. It is not supported booting into 64-bit mode when running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard." It does not support OpenCL nor does it support AirDrop, AirPlay Mirroring (which also requires a 2nd Gen or later Apple TV), Power Nap, or other advanced features, either.

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 11.44.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 11.50.59 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped -I use Mac mainly for Photoshop, Mail & Skype which with 4Mb is OK. But with all the upgrades etc plus Browning lines I may go for a new Machine when "El Capitan" has been run in (shades of MS?) Now to find a thread how to change over P.S etc. Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.