Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 10 GB

And I have two very old but nice Apple Studio Displays, which are brilliantly designed and still have excellent colour and resolution.
This issue is that Apple when making the display decided to design a single preparatory display cable that transfers display signal information, power and USB. The connection is called ADC (Apple Display Connection) and was phased out quite quickly.

I’ve looked into ways of converting the ADC connection to DVI or VGA but it seems very difficult and messy due to having to split the ADC cable into its component parts.

At this point I had a brain wave and realized that I had three very old Mac Pro G5s that all had working graphics cards with an ADC output. I thought I could simply wack the old G5 cards into the new MacPro and I’d be laughing.

Unfortunately the old graphics cards plug into the motherboard with what I believe to be a PCI Express connection (though could be AGP not 100% sure) but the new MacPro only has PCI slots. So at this point I’m stumped as to what to do. As the old graphics cards simply don’t fit in the new machine.

I would love to hear any ideas to a solution to this problem as it would be great to get these lovely displays up and running again rather than forking out hundreds for new monitors.

Thanks,

Rory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
May I suggest you do not bother? ADC was an Apple only invention that was quickly abandoned and your beautiful 5.1 Mac Pro deserves much better than an old Studio and I doubt very much if you wille ver get an ADC gfx card.

As for the adapter, a huge mess of cables, they are not quite old. My last one failed with my Mac Pro 2.1. Invest in another display. I found BenQ quite good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.