Can't follow links.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
As above. I'm using the latest Firefox, version 39. Not sure when it last updated, but about 5 days back I'd get an email with a link in it which I'd normally click on and go to the page that the link links to, if you follow, but no more. If I click on a link I just go straight to the Firefox page. I'm in Australia and have no choice but Telstra, the national carrier. I don't know whether this is the email programme, the server / isp whatever it's called, Firefox or my computer (macbook air). I'd appreciate a bit of a hand please.

C

chas_m

It's generally a very bad practice to click directly on links in email -- that's a fantastic way to get malware on your computer, your identity stolen or ripped off because you "have a virus." I'd strongly suggest you largely drop that habit.

That said, the first thing to try is to temporarily set Safari as your default browser (in Safari's settings IIRC) then see if your (trusted) email link works and calls up Safari and the right page. Then switch back to FF as your default, and see if that "fixed" it. If it didn't, that's probably Firefox 39 with a bug.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Bang on Chas. Hadn't given that a thought. Thanks for that. As you say, I only click on links from those people I trust.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got rid of adblock plus and it's fixed. Hope Mozilla fix this with the next update.

Reaction score
It's not Mozilla, it's Adblock Plus. Try uBlock until Adblock gets it right.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
AdBlock Plus has been broken for a long time. Same problem with it in Chrome. However, AdBlock Pro works fine. It appears the "Plus" version is dead and won't be fixed.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for those replies. I'll try ublock.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, I tried ublock origin and it blocked everything. It seemed really difficult to do anything with so I uninstalled it. All seemed fine until I went to get on one particular forum and all that comes up is what I think is called the header. The icon spinning wheel keeps going but nothing else happens. If I copy and past the link in to Safari, it works perfectly. No one else is having trouble with the site and it's only happened to me since I tried ublock and got rid of it. Can anyone give any advice on this please.

BTW, I did uninstall adblock plus first.

Back again. I'm now on the iMac and it works perfectly, so I guess it's got to be a setting in the mba. Hope this gives a clue.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

I use Adblock (not Adblock Plus, dev is dodgy) for sites other than this one. This one I used to support by not blocking ads (since I want the forum to continue), but eventually I decided to become a premium member, which turns off ads but still supports the site. I encourage others to do the same.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mind donating at all. but I'd like to get this thing sorted out if I can.

C

chas_m

I believe I made a suggestion for an alternative adblocker that doesn't have the issue?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you did, but as I said earlier, ublock, blocked everything and I found it really hard to use so I uninstalled it. Since then there's one particular site that I can't get on with Firefox. I can get it no trouble with Safari, but it means swapping between browsers. This has only happened since I put on and then took off ublock. I've tried to find if there's part of it left that's causing the problem, but I've run out of places ( I only know apps or the search box) to look.

Any ideas ?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Done it. I updated adobe flash player, and everything now works as it should. I don't know why it needed updating as I've got it set to tell me when it needs it. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.