Keynote - start video animation after click

Reaction score
I'm building a presentation where I'd like to have a thumbnail sized image on it. When I advance, I'd like that image to grow to full screen and play (as it's the first image of a video file). When the video is done, I'd like it to advance to the next frame.

Keynote's interface with Builds and Animate is so non-user friendly, I'm having a hard time doing this.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MacBook Pro 15, 2.26GHz I7, 6gb , 500gb
I dont think you can do that in Keynote or PPt. I think what you would need to do is do that in two slides, one with the animation and one the video. Anyone else know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Keynote's interface with Builds and Animate is so non-user friendly
Sorry but that's never been my opinion.

Which version of Keynote are you using?

If you are wanting the thumbnail to grow to fill the frame and the start playing, I'm pretty sure you can't do that. You can have the thumbnail showing and then have the video replace it and start playing.

You can have the transition to the next frame happen after the video stops playing automatically by adjusting the timings in the build panel. If your slide opens and the video starts playing, set the slide to transition to the next slide after X time, where X is the length of the video. Now, there was a time limit for automatic builds/transitions of 99 seconds, but with the latest Keynote it is now up to 600 seconds. The answer to that is to make objects appear behind the movie, one every 99/600 seconds until you make up the time of the movie, and use the appearance of the last one to tell the slide when to transition. A bit long winded, but it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 MacBook Pro 15, 2.26GHz I7, 6gb , 500gb
I even learned something new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I'm building a presentation where I'd like to have a thumbnail sized image on it. When I advance, I'd like that image to grow to full screen and play
OK, having had a play with the latest Keynote, you can do this quite easily.

Insert your video onto a Keynote slide. Resize it to a "thumbnail" size of your choice. From the Animate Menu, choose Start Movie. Then from the Action Menu, choose Scale, and use the Scale slider to zoom it out to fill the screen. Lastly, in the Build Order panel, set the Scale action to happen After the Start Movie command.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.