Importing from Outlook to Mac

A

Americain

Can it be done? If someone knows how to get my e-mail addresses from Outlook to Mac I'd be grateful. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Americain said:
Can it be done? If someone knows how to get my e-mail addresses from Outlook to Mac I'd be grateful. Many thanks.

The time I did it, I went from Outlook to Entourage for Mac. There's a program Outlook2Mac (not free) and then once converted imported them manually into Entourage's mail folders. I did it for work and it took hours but there were several thousand emails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I was able to import my addresses to my Mac via "The Missing Sync" using my Dell Axim. I don't want to hijack your post, but I'm racking my brain trying to get all of my e-mails from my soon to be eBayed HP to my Mac, any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Hambug said:
I was able to import my addresses to my Mac via "The Missing Sync" using my Dell Axim. I don't want to hijack your post, but I'm racking my brain trying to get all of my e-mails from my soon to be eBayed HP to my Mac, any help?

Via Outlook --> Hotmail --> Entourage

Create Hotmail account. Set up Outlook for it. Copy mail from local folders to Outlook. Set up Hotmail account in Entourage. Copy from Hotmail to Entourage.

Yes, and I copied my Outlook address book and calendar via my Axim, too. Bugger about the Notes :(

OP
A

Americain

Kar98 said:

Create Hotmail account. Set up Outlook for it. Copy mail from local folders to Outlook. Set up Hotmail account in Entourage. Copy from Hotmail to Entourage.

Yes, and I copied my Outlook address book and calendar via my Axim, too. Bugger about the Notes :(

I actually entertained this idea at one point. Glad to have someone who's actually tried it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Kar98 said:

Is this the MSN Hotmail? If so then their free account will not let me do this, or am I missing something?

OP
A

Americain

Hambug said:
Is this the MSN Hotmail? If so then their free account will not let me do this, or am I missing something?

Yeah, the Mac doesn't seem to want to work with .CSV files. And G-mail will br happy to export, but only to a .CSV file. Hmmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Americain said:
Yeah, the Mac doesn't seem to want to work with .CSV files. And G-mail will br happy to export, but only to a .CSV file. Hmmm...

Bugger. No, it's got nothing to do with csv files. I've got an old Hotmail account. Very old. Those can still be used with Outlook, Entourage, Outlook Express. Newer ones can't. My apologies for giving misleading advice, I forgot about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
When starting Entourage, isn't there an option to import from Outlook and Outlook Express, plus eudora and several others...

Of course, Entourage - as part of Office for mac - isn't free but as it's just Outlook Express ported for a Mac, it darn well OUGHT to import from Outlook etc..

but then, the reason most of us switched is Microsoft programmes that DON'T do what they darn well ought to...

If the Hotmail option doesn't work, would a yahoo account??? Seems a lot of programmes like exporting to .csv files... as mentioned, the Mac's brains like making sense of them just as little as human ones do...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tootallUK said:
When starting Entourage, isn't there an option to import from Outlook and Outlook Express, plus eudora and several others...

Yes, but that's for the _Mac_ versions of these programs. It will _not_ read Outlook .pst files

Of course, Entourage - as part of Office for mac - isn't free but as it's just Outlook Express ported for a Mac,

No, it isn't. It's the Mac version of Outlook, i.e. a full Personal Information Manager including calendar, address book, tasks, notes and really decent e-mail client. Outlook Express on the other hand is a dinky little piece of sunni that's no good as e-mail program, newsreader or really anything whatever. OE doesn't really have anything to do with Outlook or Entourage except for the similar name. I know it's condusing. Blame Microsoft :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
Hmmm... have hundreds of mails from my old PC from Outlook Express, all saved as a .pst file... had given up any way of ever seening them again, short of buying another PC but i have just downloaded a .pst importer for Entourage from the Microsoft website...

If I ever rescue my Entourage from the mess I just created with it over the past three days, I'll try to import all the old emails...

Then I'll delete them all again, as it probably won't import them properly at all, knowing where it came from... !!!!

So Entourage ISN'T just Outlook for Mac?? I had figured it probably was...

MS actually made a programme for Mac users?? Sounds so unlikely!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I have the full fledged Outlook 2003 (not express) on my other laptop and desktop with XP and my new Powerbook with Entourage 2004 would not import from the full fledged Outlook 2003 either, so it isn't just Outlook Express. i had to manually reenter all 100+ addresses I had in my address books, then I setup another ISP email account with my Cox cable account (it gives me 5 email accounts) then I forwarded all my emails from the laptop and desktops that I wanted to have on my Mac to this new account, then setup Entourage to just check that new account, so it received all those forwarded emails, then I added my regular accounts to it as well and went back and deleted the temporary account. Maybe your own ISP gives you more than the one email account you could use?

It is stupid that Micros**t (you fill in the missing letters) cannot even talk to its own self from one product to another. Another reason I made the switch. I've turned my other computers into Linux machines. To heck with MS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tootallUK said:
Hmmm... have hundreds of mails from my old PC from Outlook Express, all saved as a .pst file... had given up any way of ever seening them again, short of buying another PC but i have just downloaded a .pst importer for Entourage from the Microsoft website...

Will not work for importing .pst files from Outlook to Entourage. Yes, I know it's dumb.

So Entourage ISN'T just Outlook for Mac?? I had figured it probably was...

Erm. Yes it is. The free Outlook [blink, sing, dance, jump up and down]Express [/blink, sing, dance, jump up and down] is a program very different from Outlook.

MS actually made a programme for Mac users??

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/

Sounds so unlikely!

Back in 1997, MS invested $150m into Apple, for cross-licensing purposes and such. Or to keep Apple alive to prevent MS from becoming an undeniable monopoly. Which would have had nasty consequences for MS. So i guess that's money well spent in MS's book, and long since recouped, with sales of Office for Mac for instance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what I did, downloaded a demo copy of Outlook2Mac (do a Google on it) load that program on your PC, and it will convert all e-mail's contacts attachments everything and save that file. Then click on the file that it saves and it will go through the process of setting up a new e-mail account for you in iMail. Then you can import from iMail into Entourage. I'm still working through the process so I can't say that it works 100% yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.