Saving finder views

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys. Is there a way to save finder views so I can recall them quickly once I have closed them? Whats the easiest way of doing this? Can you do it with Automator?
I found the following video but I can't code & it doesn't explain what the scripts are or how to implements them; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NyoXiqFkoQ

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think that is being done with AppleScript. Looking at the AppleScript dictionary for the Finder it has all all the various types of Finder windows. I'm not much of a scripture but it should be possible to put the windows in position and run a script that stores positions and closes the window.

You might find something useful at MacScripter

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
I think that is being done with AppleScript. Looking at the AppleScript dictionary for the Finder it has all all the various types of Finder windows. I'm not much of a scripture but it should be possible to put the windows in position and run a script that stores positions and closes the window.

You might find something useful at MacScripter

Hey Sly. Many thanks. I cant seem to find anything relevant in the ScriptEditor dictionary and MacScripter / OS X Finder hold very old threads non of which are replied to. Have you got any other ideas??

all the best

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're right about the MacScripter site. I was hoping there would be something useful there.

I'm going to have to think about this and see what I can come up with. There should be something in the scripting dictionary for Finder that allows reading window positions and changing them.

Might take me a while I am definitely not a scripting maven.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.