Image editing and drawing Aps

Reaction score
I have used Gimp and Firefox on Windows. There seems a plethora of image editing Aps there any advice as to 4/5 star one that's top of the range (not specifically interested in photo processing). Also need an artists Ap. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi

Take a look at Affinity Photo and Affinity Desugner - both very slick and there are many tutorials on the web. Very reasonably priced from those nice people at Serif.

Cheers

Mitcherooney

Reaction score
yup, I also used Gimp, but it takes quite a long time for me to figure our how to use it.:|

Reaction score
I normally use Photoshop CS for processing/editing image. What do you think it's better or good idea. I am not much sure but I am pretty interested to use this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If your image editing needs are very basic, take a look at Seashore. It's based on Gimp and is free!

Another alternative is Pixelmator. Not free, but inexpensive, popular, and quite robust.

Of course, since you already are familiar with Gimp, why not just use the Mac version of that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi

Take a look at Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer - both very slick and there are many tutorials on the web. Very reasonably priced from those nice people at Serif.

Cheers

Mitcherooney

Serif is a great company. I still have quite a bit of their stuff that I used in Windows some years ago. They have always been ahead of the competition when it comes to innovation. However, for some reason they never really became popular with the professional graphics folks who it seems would rather pay Adobe's ridiculous prices. I believe the original owners of Serif sold out some time ago but I can't remember who purchased them and kept the name. They were based in the NE US at one time.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I will follow up on suggestions. Does anyone use a drawing tablet?

Reaction score
Hi Take a look at Affinity Photo and Affinity Desugner - both very slick and there are many tutorials on the web. Very reasonably priced from those nice people at Serif. Cheers Mitcherooney
These two have been a game changer for me. Powerful, easy to use and cheap. Bringing my MacBook to work these days so I can make useful graphics alongside my Windows workstation. I'm surprised people are still messing with alternatives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Serif is a great company. I still have quite a bit of their stuff that I used in Windows some years ago. They have always been ahead of the competition when it comes to innovation. However, for some reason they never really became popular with the professional graphics folks who it seems would rather pay Adobe's ridiculous prices. I believe the original owners of Serif sold out some time ago but I can't remember who purchased them and kept the name. They were based in the NE US at one time.

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about them! I used to use Serif PagePlus to do a newsletter, originally with a DOS-based version, then later in Windows. It was really great for the job.

Reaction score
Lifeisabeach:

Affinity is likely to launch "Publisher' later this year. Like you I am a fan of PagePlus. It Is the main reason I continue with Windows under Parallels.

Cheers

Mitcherooney

C

chas_m

Since nobody has mentioned it, here's a vote for Pixelmator as well. I mainly use Photoshop for my photo processing (or Lightroom), but Pixelmator is my "fast graphics fixup" tool. I haven't looked at the Affinity stuff because there's no trial for it, so I can't try before buying -- unless I missed something.

Reaction score
Chas_m

You did miss something. There was beta version of Designer. It convinced me. Then Photo came along, not as a Beta, but discounted launch price for about a month. It's still great value and the tutorials are excellent. Here's a link to the tutorials

Cheers

Mitcherooney

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that link to the tutorials. I had their beta on my computer for a bit but didn't have time to really play with it much. I'm not a big photo editor but this looks really interesting and much cheaper than Photoshop which is really more than I need.

Reaction score
As a beginner which will you recommend. I want to start with Gimp? Though it's free you said. So, how it it @ Lifeisabeach?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I haven't used Gimp in quite a while but I've never really liked the interface. Even with the Photoshop skin I never really got comfortable with it. Others who have used more recent versions can probably give you a better answer.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hmm, what about a connected drawing surface (Wacom?). Do these all interface with one on the Mac?

No one mentioned CorelDraw.

C

chas_m

Hate Gimp. Worse than useless to my mind, since it doesn't do the core things one buys Photoshop to do, and after something along the lines of four decades of development, its still a classic example of why open source is no threat to commercial software. No serious print shop or publisher works with it, its strictly for people who like to spend as much time re-learning the software, fixing bugs and installing updates as they do actually using it, IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a beginner which will you recommend. I want to start with Gimp? Though it's free you said. So, how it it @ Lifeisabeach?

I have no qualified opinion... I've dabbled with it, but my occasional image editing needs are very basic.

Hmm, what about a connected drawing surface (Wacom?). Do these all interface with one on the Mac?

Yes. They have Mac drivers available.
Drivers | Wacom

No one mentioned CorelDraw.

They don't currently make a Mac version of CorelDraw.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac/Affinity Designer is my Windows/CorelDraw replacement. AP is better than CD.

Not exactly. It's really the Mac replacement and equivalent of the Windows version "Page Plus". However, it's been vastly improved. I've never liked Corel Draw especially after they re-worked it and tripled the price. But that's just my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.