Had to restore iPad, now can't iMessage non-iOS device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
I have been using iMessage to text to any phone, anywhere from iPad, iPhone and Macbook for some time. Since I had to restore, now I can't send to non-iOS from iPad. Still works on macbook, but now not from iPad. What got changed? Is there a setting I can change back to what it was? Thanks is advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am going to assume both devices are using the same apple id. So....

First check on your iPad in System Preferences -> Messages - > Send & Receive -> make sure your iPhone number is listed under you can be reached at and in start a new conversation.

Next check your iPhone in System Preferences -> Messages -> Text Message forwarding -> make sure your iPad is listed and the slider is turned on. If it is not you will need both devices as when you slide it on a number will pop up that has to be entered on the other device.

Also on the iPhone under the Messages settings you might need to turn on SMS - this is needed if iMessage service is not available.

I had problem you described on my Mac Pro. I was getting the text but could not reply to non-iOS phones. Changing the settings on my iPhone worked.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Thanks for such a quick reply! All of my settings were just as you described, so that was not the issue. However, I tried sending another message on my iPad and I got a message that said something about "turning on" (can't remember all of it), so I agreed to that. Then I got a message saying that I needed to enter a code from my iPhone. Something about sharing SMS. After I did that, I sent a message to an Android phone that apparently went through! Yay!!! Thanks so much!

M

MacInWin

Wrong forum, not OS X or OS X app related. Can a MOD move to the proper forum?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.