Confused about which to buy and when...

J

jimz

Hi,

I'm going overseas in Nov 06' to get some work as a web developer/designer, I don't need a computer to play games, just work, but I want it to go fast!!!.

I would like to get the 12" Powerbook G4, but it is a few hundred dollars out of my price range just now...

Will the price drop much by November? Would it replace the Ibook for example or am I dreaming?

Should I wait longer? I guess the longest I could wait would be Jan/Feb next year.

If I can't afford it I'll just get the best mac mini I can buy but portability would be great.

Anyway, your opinions will be greatly valued!
Thanks,
Jim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
new iBook(macbook)

Well if I were you I would wait since the new iBooks(macbook) are going to be released in the near future...They will be much faster then the powerbooks and be much cheaper(supposed to be in the same price range as the iBook)...

People will probably say to you "dude just buy it who knows when the new ibook will come out..." Just think about this and decide what you think is the best idea. Apple has said that all of their computers will be running intel chips be the end of '06. The iBook was a huge huge seller for apple since it was a good price, and now people are wary about buying iBook G4s because they know the intel models are supposed to be out soon and supposed to be much faster. Do you think apple is going to wait almost a year to release one of their best sellers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
The price of the PowerBook wont drop unless apple replaces or stops making it. As you have said that you can wait untill Jan/Feb next year wait untill then and save up more money as
1) You will more choice money wise
2) Newer model will have been released by then
3) Alot more of the software will be native on an intel

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My then the time frame given. The MacBook (iBook) will be out. Also I believe that since the MacBook Pro is not out, the PowerBook will be out of stock.

The MacBook, I believe will be out before the fall school semester starts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
rman said:
My then the time frame given. The MacBook (iBook) will be out. Also I believe that since the MacBook Pro is not out, the PowerBook will be out of stock.

The MacBook, I believe will be out before the fall school semester starts.

MacBook Pro not out? What do you mean?

I agree with your statement about the MacBook

OP
J

jimz

Thanks

I guess I'll wait for the intel version of the Ibook(Macbook)...

Does anyone have any relevant articles on this computer or is it all heresay at the moment?

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.