Moving an EFI installation to a non-EFI installation

Reaction score
Sound - It's an EFI problem

I'm about to start a corresponding thread; the problem is normally because you installed from USB using EFI instead of BIOS. I can't figure out any work around for this at the moment other than installing from DVD. Which for me isn't an issue :(

OP
H
Reaction score
I put in a new hard drive and successfully installed both OSX and Windows 10. As my superdrive is duff I had to install Windows from USB - it installed fine and is now the latest version (I'm on the insider program).

However, I have no sound .I know this is an existing problem, it's because it's an EFI install. Does anyone know if there's a way to migrate away from EFI through OSX?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm about to start a corresponding thread; the problem is normally because you installed from USB using EFI instead of BIOS. I can't figure out any work around for this at the moment other than installing from DVD. Which for me isn't an issue :(

Can you explain what you mean by this? A BIOS install, in the typical sense of the word, isn't possible on a Mac since there isn't a true BIOS.

OP
H
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay had to focus on work rather than improving usability.

From what I gather on my mac (early 2011 MBP) it has both BIOS and EFI. It's old, remember. If you install from DVD you can use BIOS which is a "standard" install but if you install from USB you have to use EFI. When this is the case in Windows 10 the sound doesn't work. There are loads of threads about this on t'internet and the solution seems to be to reinstall from DVD. But my drive is knackered so I can't do that. So what I want to know is, is there a way to "swap" the method of booting post-installation

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your 2011 MacBook Pro has no BIOS nor does any other modern Mac, so I don't know where you're getting that from? A Boot Camp installation has always been through EFI and still is with Windows 10. The thing about Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 is that they can directly work with an EFI installation whereas Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 required emulation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
H
Reaction score
What a strange thread about BIOS? The lack of sound has been the subject to many threads and lack of Windows 10 drivers at some stages. Have a read of this link:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6896494

My information came from "the internet" which - as we all know - never lies.

The early 2011 MBP is not listed as working with Windows 10 at all, so I guess therein could like the start and end of my problem although I'll try the drivers from the second link just in case. Leaves me a bit stuck as I don't have a Windows 7 license and that's already older than the mac itself. A bit rubbish not to support something that's only 4 years old!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.