Game in Applications can't be opened by other admins

Is this a problem with the OS, or with the Game?

• Operating system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure if this is a problem with the game itself or the operating system since it only happens with this game, but it seems like it is an operating system problem. In one admin account, i can open "League Of Legends" perfectly fine, using any method, but when using an admin account, a non-admin account, or a guest account, it does not work. When i try to open using finder, i am given the error :

"You do not have permission to open the application 'League of Legends'.

Contact your computer or network administrator for assistance"

When i try to open using Terminal "open (path)", i get the error :
"LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -5000 for the file (path)", and when i open with "sudo (path)" i get the error:
"LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file (path)"

Just to clarity, i am referring to the Applications folder in "Macintosh HD/Applications", not "Macintosh HD/Users/*/Applications"

Also, how many of you think this is a problem with the operating system, and how many think it's a problem with the game itself? I might post in the League of Legends forum if lots of people think it seems to be a problem with the game itself.

M

MacInWin

Sounds like it's neither. It's a user problem. When the game was installed, it was installed only for the one user that can open it, hence no other user can use it. You'll need to uninstall from that one user, then reinstall for ALL users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yeah, either that or all accounts but one are corrupt in some way that is preventing the game from running. More likely, it's what Jake said.

OP
N
Reaction score
OH, ok i'll try that now, i thought that if it was in the Macintosh HD/Applications then it can be used by all users

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, that is the global Applications directory. It's possible, however, that permissions were limited to your current user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
can you just chown this file using the terminal?

Open Terminal and type something like

Code:
cd /Applications
chown -R -L [I]new_owner[/I] [U]application_name[/U]

Of course, this would pass ownership to a single new user, you could also try the unix command to allow execute by all users:

Code:
cd /Applications
chmod -R -L [B]755[/B] [U]application_name[/U]

In both cases the -R and -L are to do with associated permissions, perhaps not needed, but quite often when you look at a 'file' in OS X it is more of a container than an actual file, the -R should apply the permissions to the files within the container and the -L will follow any Sym Links.

You can try both commands without the -R & -L first of all, if that does not work, then try with the flags.

chown = change owner (you can allocate to a group as well)
chmod = change mode, on this you are changing the read/write/execute attributes
755 Owner (all = 7) Group (Read + Execute = 5) Other (Read + Execute = 5)

This is something to try before the reinstall - but it is only something to try if you want to try it and if you feel comfortable with the command line - re-installing is the fail-safe option ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.