Facebook and MacBook Pro have different time/dates

Reaction score
Please help! I've googled this to death.
My Facebook events and timeline have incorrect date and times when viewed on my MacBook Pro (whether Safari or Chrome is used). My time, date, and timezone are all correct on my MacBook Pro. I've cleared the cache and browsing history on both Safari and chrome, restarted my laptop, logged in/out of Facebook, tried deselecting/selecting "Set timezone automatically" and "set date and time automatically" in preferences on my MacBook.
Any ideas? It sounds like this is a problem for a lot of people...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
G'day and welcome to M-F . . .

Try resetting SMC on your MBP, then go through and check settings again in System Preferences.

Follow these instructions . . Reset SMC OS X

OP
K
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to M-F . . .

Try resetting SMC on your MBP, then go through and check settings again in System Preferences.

Follow these instructions . . Reset SMC OS X

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have worked. Facebook events are still showing the incorrect date and time. My posts to this forum are also showing that they're being posted 7 hours ahead of PDT for me, which is my timezone. So strange!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's possible that the sites are set to different timezones. Head over to the settings for each and see what they say.

OP
K
Reaction score
It's possible that the sites are set to different timezones. Head over to the settings for each and see what they say.

Yes, that was my initial thought. From all the research I've done, there is no timezone setting on Facebook (I've looked for it as well as googled this) as it uses the device's settings. Somehow it's not syncing with my MacBook though.

I look at Facebook on my phone and all dates and times are correct. For example, my friend's birthday party shows as September 12th at 6:00 PM on my phone (correct), But September 13th and 3:00 AM on my MacBook.

Thanks for your input!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Facebook: If the Time Zone is set correctly on your computer, try clearing the cookies in your browser.

Mac-Forums: Everyone is asked to select their time zone when they register. If it is not selected at that time, then you can click on the UserCP link at the top of the page where all the individual forum settings are available to you.

edit:
after reading that you have cleared the browsers, you might try tricking Facebook - change the time on your Mac to something else - then login to Facebook - log out of Facebook - change time on Mac back to correct time - then login to Facebook again.

Are you using a VPN and connected to a server in some country other than where you live?

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you using a VPN and connected to a server in some country other than where you live?
Good question.

KateMac, a VPN can be configured manually or if you're using something like an extension to get around geographic limits. Are you using something like that?

OP
K
Reaction score
Good question.

KateMac, a VPN can be configured manually or if you're using something like an extension to get around geographic limits. Are you using something like that?

I read more about VPNs and I'm still not sure--sorry! We do use this computer to log in remotely to our work computers, but those are still in the same area. Would this perhaps be something like that? Otherwise I've never set up an extension like this knowingly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.