noob help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook 1GHz PowerPC G4 1MB L3 cache 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM
new to mac as of two hours ago. i have a powerbook G4 1GHz 512 17" (used) . In exploring the mac world, i somehow managed to delete my home folder. What do I do?
I also can not change the shortname on my user account.
How screwed am I?

Reaction score
you wont be able to change your shortname unless you just make yourself a new account.

are you sure your home folder is completely gone?

maybe you should try repairing permissions, and if that doesn't work i would make yourself a new account and delete the old corrupt one.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i rpaired permisions, and the old home folder is back. I crreated a new account, but the short name is still the old users name.

Reaction score
when you go to your system preferences and then to the accounts tab and create a new user you can put whatever you want for the short name. like if your name is Joe Smith your shortname will automatically be entered in the short name field as joesmith but if you want you can click the short name, (this is the only time you can do it), and put whatever you want. once the account is created you cant change it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I gotcha now.... it's working. just gotta add some bookmarks and settings, thanx.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just noticed this morning that the icons for "computer" and "network" are missing out of finder. It must have been something i had done last night.

Nevermind. I figured it out. :doctor:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.