Excel on Mac

Reaction score
Hey, are the Excel formulae different on Mac? When I highlight the cells I want to sum up and press the "sum" symbol, it says there is an error. Also, the multiplication formula e.g. =(D1*G1) doesn't work. An error again. Sorry, I'm very new to this. Is there a list of formulae available? Honestly, I didn't understand what the programme was telling me, except for the "error" thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (mid 2011), MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), iPad 2, iPhone 5s. all with latest OS
Hi. These should work. Try manually putting the formula in. or for SUM, try entering"=SUM" and then highlighting the cells you want to sum, press return.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Haven't used those formulas in Excel in a while but they should work. Double check the data in the cells to make sure it is entered correctly (make sure Excel is removing these as numbers since that is what these functions require).

C

chas_m

Would really be helpful if you could tell us -- at a dead minimum -- what version of Office/Excel you are using.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, figured it out - it doesn't like dots, but commas, and it doesn't like cells with no value. Thank you though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Dots vs. commas is a setting. You should be able to choose either. I've never switched mine, so don't know right off where to find that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.