MacBook air 13" 2012, i5 1.8GHz 128GB ssd

Reaction score
The macbook will no longer turn on, when magsafe is plugged in no lights are on at all.. and when the power button is pressed nothing happens at all.. any idea what the problem is

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Two things to check: The battery and the MagSafe Adapter Charger. Have you done that?

OP
D
Reaction score
I've had the battery out and tried powering up without it, still no difference.. I've took the laptop to bits and found a lot of corrosion on the underside of the logic board so assume it's completely dead... I have sprayed some solution on the board to clear the corrosion and it's cleared 99% of it... still no different though.. there's no power going to the logic board.. it's getting as far as the magsafe socket.. no further than that. any ideas ?

C

chas_m

Beyond that, the "solution" is a new logic board, which is 2/3rds the cost of a brand new one. I'll let you choose the best path for you, but a third option would simply be finding a clean used 2012 model exactly or better on the market, and buy it for (likely) less than the new logic board would cost you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.