One Quick Question.

K

katjackusd

I am going to college for graphic design in the fall. I am a diehard windows user and don't know the first thing about Mac's. I know that I need a Mac for my chosen field, but I don't know which Mac. I was told in the Switcher Hangout section that an iBook should work, but that I should double check with you guys. So, will the iBook work for me? Or will I have to bite the pricetag and go with a powerbook?

Reaction score
Why do you have to have a Mac? As far as I understand, the graphic design folks use apps like Photoshop, which is available for Windows as well. That's really all I know, but I can tell you that iBooks aren't particularly powerful, but are certainly capable of most tasks, but certainly not as powerful as an equal priced Windows machine.

I'd let someone else who uses the more power hungry apps answer that part :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
my ibook (1.2ghz 768mb ram) is pretty good with adobe cs 2. just not as fast as the power line but its pretty fast. wait for the intel ibook (called macbook). itll be faster and less heat and with more power per watt etc.

OP
K

katjackusd

Windows will run those, but not as well (I use photoshop at home on my PC and at school on a mac) The controls are smoother and just work better. So, is taht a resounding no on the iBook?

Reaction score
katjackusd said:
Windows will run those, but not as well (I use photoshop at home on my PC and at school on a mac) The controls are smoother and just work better. So, is taht a resounding no on the iBook?

Ive got the 14inch g4, with 1gig of ram. i run cs2 without any problems what so ever. to me the ibook would be a little better of a choice seeing as how your a student - its durable, quick, SEXY haha. had to be said, and just an all around tough guy. but hey, if you want the powerbook, or intel based macbook, then go ahead. yeah its faster, but id grab a 512 stick of ram which will cost ya $120 more, and youve got some of the speed made up for. if you have a larger monitor, the ibook comes with the vga out, so you dont need to worry about that, its got the usb ports, firewire, everything else. just seems a little more cost effective.

i love my ibook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
Frankly, I'd much rather take a sooped up Macbook (the intel version of an iBook) when they come out than a stock Macbook Pro.

At the end, it's a couple megahertz difference for hundreds of dollars less. As a student, the iBook is the choice for you.

and you'll have a gig and a half of ram, which is most important for photoshop

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.