How to Connect MacBook Pro to 2560x1400 Korean Monitors?

Reaction score
I currently have a nice setup at home with 2 X-Star 2560x1400 PLS monitors and a beefy PC tower I use for games and stuff.

I recently purchased a Late 2012 MacBook Pro with the intention of plugging it into both of the monitors and being able to "swap" between machines if needed. (If I can only use one monitor with the Macbook that wouldn't be the end of the world.)

It would be nice if it could share the audio, mouse and keyboard that I already have, but that's not a huge requirement as I can use something like Synergy or Sharemouse.

A friend of mine told me to contact Startech to get some recommendations. A rep there told me to get their SV231DD2DUA KVM along with 2 USB 3.0 to DVI adapters.

I recieved all of it yesterday and the USB to DVI adapters don't work at all. I tried two different MacBooks and a few PCs. I assume it's something to do with the Korean monitors. It just shows a color cycle when I try to plug one of them in. I'm going to return them.

What's the best way to go about doing this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At that resolution, I am "assuming" the monitors have dual link DVI-D ports - in which case you would need a mini displayport to dual link DVI-D adapter and a dual link DVI-D cable to get the native resoultion. Apple and Kanex make the adapter - haven't used either, but I'd probably try the Kanex first. Also check monoprice to see if they have one.

OP
L
Reaction score
At that resolution, I am "assuming" the monitors have dual link DVI-D ports - in which case you would need a mini displayport to dual link DVI-D adapter and a dual link DVI-D cable to get the native resoultion. Apple and Kanex make the adapter - haven't used either, but I'd probably try the Kanex first. Also check monoprice to see if they have one.

Thanks. If I get two adapters would I have dual monitors?

Looking at this one from Accell.

Would this Belkin one work?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First off, I am making an "assumption" here - you have not said and I have no clue what port(s) you have on those monitors.

Do you have 2 mini displayports on your Mac?

The Accell has reviews about the same as Apple's and Kanex's. The Kanex is a few bucks cheaper.

The Belkin is a single link and it should work if you don't care about running the monitor at it's native resolution. You must use dual link DVI to get that resolution.

Do your monitors also have an HDMI port? If so, you could connect one via HDMI, although I'm pretty sure you will not get the native resolution via HDMI.

OP
L
Reaction score
First off, I am making an "assumption" here - you have not said and I have no clue what port(s) you have on those monitors.

Do you have 2 mini displayports on your Mac?

The Accell has reviews about the same as Apple's and Kanex's. The Kanex is a few bucks cheaper.

The Belkin is a single link and it should work if you don't care about running the monitor at it's native resolution. You must use dual link DVI to get that resolution.

Do your monitors also have an HDMI port? If so, you could connect one via HDMI, although I'm pretty sure you will not get the native resolution via HDMI.

It's one of these: X Star DP2710LED PLS Panel WQHD 2560x1440 27inch Computer Monitor "Glossy" | eBay

Dual Link DVI

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.