LG cd/dvd burner won't accept discs

Reaction score
my older macmini, which i use for iMovie, suddenly rejects every blank disc i put in. got an external drive burner & it too rejects all discs???? any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
my older macmini, which i use for iMovie, suddenly rejects every blank disc i put in. got an external drive burner & it too rejects all discs???? any ideas?

Hello - please provide more information: 1) Model/year Mac Mini; 2) Brand/model of the external optical drive; and 3) OS X installed. Is the external drive a slot-loader or one w/ a tray? For the slot-loader(s) you can gently blow in some compressed air which might correct the issue. Have you rebooted the computer? Finally, have you tried the external unit on another computer? Dave :)

OP
T
Reaction score
LG cd/dvd burner

it's a macmini mid 2011 v. 10.10 yosemite...

i had the problem originally with my other macmini 10.4.11 which has an internal burner... it wouldn't recognize discs - i tried many different discs so i thought an exterior burner would solve the problem... no difference, doesn't recognize the burner... trying it on the newer macmini 10.10 same thing, doesn't recognize the burner so of course not the disc either.

tried the ext. burner on my tv... i got recognition, a LG logo floating around but wouldn't play or recognize the dvd. the ext. burner is LG slim portable DVD writer model GP50Nb40
SVC code NB40 ROM VER: 1.00

i have re-booted, it's a tray version

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do understand that an external USB DVD burner will not be recognized by your Mini or any other Mac until you place a disk inside and it mounts? I have the thin external USB LG burner and only until I place a disk inside will the burner be recognized after the disk mounts. The same for my Samsung external burner. As far as disks not being recognized in your older Mini with an internal drive, the drive may be dirty or defective.

OP
T
Reaction score
macmini burner

i insert a disk, it whirrs & seems to be trying do something but it always pops out...
no recognition on the screen. this happens for my internal burner on the older macmini
& on the LG external burner on the newer macmini (i discover after ordering that the ext. burner is only appropriate for the newer computer so i don't expect it to work there).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you tried other brands of disks and commercial disks and still have the same problem, then your burners are defective or dirty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.