Move emails from GMail to iCloud Mail WITHOUT A MAC

Reaction score
[HELP] Move emails from GMail to iCloud Mail WITHOUT A MAC

Hi all,

I have recently made the switch from Android to iOS, and want to change from GMail to iCloud Mail. In this switch I would like to transfer all of my emails from my GMail to iCloud, I have seen various articles on how to do this in the Mail app for OS X, but I do not yet have a Mac and will not have the money for one for a few months, so I was wondering if there was any way to transfer the emails without using a Mac?

Cheers

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have an iCloud email address and an Apple ID? And welcome to the Mac-Forums.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is there any particular reason that you want to use iCloud email? GMail has significantly more space available and is fully supported by all iOS and OS X mail applications (in fact, it only requires an extra step or two to setup). I only ask as moving to a new email address may be a logistical nightmare in trying to remind everyone of the new address (I know you can have messages auto forwarded but still...).

OP
J
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason that you want to use iCloud email? GMail has significantly more space available and is fully supported by all iOS and OS X mail applications (in fact, it only requires an extra step or two to setup). I only ask as moving to a new email address may be a logistical nightmare in trying to remind everyone of the new address (I know you can have messages auto forwarded but still...).

Being able to use push email and Handoff in the native Mail app would be nice, as I don't really get on with the GMail app. As for reminding everyone, there aren't really a whole lot of people that I email anyway (being of the younger generation we usually just stick to texting :D), and I have already changed the email address on all of the online accounts (shopping etc.) to the new one, so all is good on that front.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Being able to use push email and Handoff in the native Mail app would be nice
All of that is doable with a GMail account. ;) Ultimately though, the choice is yours.

Most of the instructions I see online involve setting up both the GMail and iCloud email up in a mail client and moving things that way by manually copying emails from mailbox to mailbox. You can do this on any mail client - here are iCloud's server settings and here are GMail's. You may want to try that one first with a few test emails to see if it works.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I routinely (i.e. daily) use the Mac Mail program to access my Gmail account. If you set up the Gmail account in Mail you can set it up aa an IMAP account things should be kept in sync across multiple devices.

C

chas_m

In addition to the helpful posts above, the answer to your original question is "yes." Presuming you have an Apple ID and thus an iCloud.com email address, all you need is a web browser and an Internet connection on any kind of computer or operating system.

Log into your Gmail account, select the emails you want to transfer, forward them to the iCloud.com address. Set Gmail to forward all future emails to the iCloud.com address. If you have a huge number of Gmail emails, you may want to trim them down to the important ones or do the forwarding in batches to make sure they all go through -- forwarding thousands of emails at once is likely to trigger an error.

You can check that this worked by opening a second tab or window in your browser and signing in to your iCloud.com account, then selecting Mail. Over time, you will be replying to people with your iCloud account, so they will start sending things to the iCloud account sort of automatically (particularly if you let them know you changed accounts). You can always access your iCloud account using a web browser until you get your own Mac, and you can also set up your iCloud account to work with whatever PC email program you might need to use in the meantime.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.