UPS/Energy Saver Settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi All . . .
I recently added an APC UPS to my set up. Mac has native software that automatically adds a UPS window to the Energy Saver settings in System Preferences acknowledging the UPS device. I seem to have conflicting settings and I am humbly asking what settings you would use/recommend in setting this up. I am attaching 3 screen shots of my current settings. These seem to be not working well with each other. To the point...how would you configure these to make them work well and allow me to let the computer sleep as I always do (vs shutting down the computer) and also allow the UPS to work like it should in case of a power outage? When I awake the computer from Sleep Mode, there is a window saying "computer is now running on battery power". I am sure this is only because I don't have the timings set up correctly. What settings would you use in regards to setting this feature up? All input is welcome. Thank you in advance.......Brent

Screen shot 2015-07-20 at 6.41.11 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-07-20 at 6.41.37 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-07-20 at 6.42.00 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mine sets itself up on UPS. I have Power Energy Saver set at 12 minutes, UPS both set at precisely 15 minutes and the shut down options at 10 minutes, 5minutes and 25% respectively. Never see that message Brent.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thanks, harryb . . .
I will go with your settings since they are working well for you.

I thought it was really neat the way the Mac recognized the UPS and basically configured itself within the OS. If I would have had a Windows machine, I would have had to first connect the UPS to the computer with a special USB cable (provided), then go online and download/install software from the manufacturer. Also, there was a disk in the kit I would have had to use. Today's computers are dropping the optical drives, so the disk would have been useless if I had a newer computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I was all excited and tried plugging my Mac Pro directly into my CyberPower UPS (I had it on a strip that was plugged.)

Nothing shows up about it in Energy Saver. Sigh....

Lisa

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Lisa . . . I checked out the CyberPower UPS. It looks like a really nice unit. I read that a Mac would configure a UPS within the OS and it worked for me. Surely someone will have a suggestion or solution. It should set up automatically.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa . . . straight from CyberPower for Mac's website:

Basic Configuration

To configure a CyberPower UPS using Apple's Energy Saver software, plug the USB cord into the UPS and the Mac. Once connected a new option will appear in the Energy Saver control panel named UPS.

OS X Configuration

Directions to configure the OS X UPS manager in the Energy Saver control panel.

1.With the computer and the UPS off, connect the USB cable that was included with the unit to an available USB port on the computer.
2.Turn the UPS on and start the computer.
3.Once the computer has started, open system preferences.
4.In system preferences click on Energy Saver.
5.Choose Settings for UPS and adjust the runtime settings to your preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Dogbreath - that worked. I plugged in the UPS and all was good.

Lisa

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harryb . . .
Since changing my setting to those that you use, the "computer is now running on battery power" message has not been seen since. Evidently the settings i was using had something to do with it. It only appeared after waking the computer from its nap. thanks again.

Lisa . . . is your CyberPower UPS working out well for you so far?

Brent

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, well, well...I got home today from work and when I woke the computer up, there IT was. I don't know why, but the computer is working fine and at least I know that the UPS will kick in if needed. Here IT is....

Screen shot 2015-07-31 at 3.40.37 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.