MBP wifi drops; all other devices ok

Reaction score
2012 MBP Retina, OS 10.9.5

How can I tell if my wifi card is having problems? My MBP seems to be the only device in the household suffering from wifi problems. I run a Terminal prompt and ping the router continuously. Sometimes I will be in the middle of working and the connection to the router will just drop for no reason. My girlfriend's PC and my mobile phone will be working just fine. The MBP will be fine again after restarting, but it's pretty brutal to have to restart every time this goes down.

Things I have done:
Factory restarted the router
Installed all Mac software updates
Moved the router physically as close as I can to the MacBook.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After trying what member pm-r suggested, why don't you take your MBP somewhere that has free WiFi access (maybe a Starbucks or Panera, etc) and see how it behaves from there. That should give you some idea if it's your home equipment (router, modem) or the MBP itself that has the problem.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just how old is this MBP and in what condition. Has it had any repairs lately? The reason I ask is because the WiFi receiver in in the lid and mechanical damage to that area, repairs carried out for other reasons can damage the connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also any chance you have a phone, in particular a hands free model, on your desk or nearby which can cause interference? If your router is by chance 2.4GHz, set up on the 5GHz channel if possible.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi all, thank you for the responses:

Yes, I have gone through wifi diagnostics many times. It tells me about possible crowded wifi channel but there's not much I can do since I am in a high-density high-rise apartment.

My router is unfortunately incapable of 5 GHz channel. I might buy a new one.

The machine is 3 years old but the case has never been opened for any reason. It is possible the wifi card is damaged, but I wouldn't know how.

Taking the machine to a public wifi is probably not practical because it doesn't drop all the time, maybe every 5-6 hours or so, just enough to be annoying when I am on a call.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, I have gone through wifi diagnostics many times. It tells me about possible crowded wifi channel but there's not much I can do since I am in a high-density high-rise apartment.

My router is unfortunately incapable of 5 GHz channel. I might buy a new one.

You answered your own question above. Living in a high rise apt building, you need a new router, one that has 5 GHz capability and a wider selection of channels to choose from. Keep in mind that the 5 GHz channel is pretty much line of sight which means your Mac will have to be in close proximity to the router.

C

chas_m

There is also the simpler option of changing the channel on your router. Look up the directions on how to do this online, because the answer varies depending on your router model.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.