Password Management programs

Reaction score
Has anyone any advice to offer on Password Management programs please?
Do you think they are secure and worth the expenditure?
I have been looking at 1password as I believe it is most Macfriendly but there may be better ones available.
Paul

Reaction score
There are no better ones :)
1Password is the no. 1 recommended manager around here. Been using it for years.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It depends. I was a user of 1Password but it kept dying on me so I ended up just using Firefox's built in password manager. If you move across browsers and between devices, something like 1Password is nice. If you're using only one browser and/or different devices with the same browser, you may not actually need it. What led you to explore password managers?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also use 1 Password, however, it's an expensive first time buy. Upgrades are a lot less expensive though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
+1 for 1Password.
I use it on all my OSX and iOS devices and it has a robust sync feature across both platforms.

Cheers ... McBie

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There are so many ways of doing this. You can use iCloud KeyChain, Master password systems (Like 1Password) browser password managers and encrypted folders synced across devices using apps like DocsToGo or Dropbox.
Personally I let my browser store my everyday passwords and sync an encrypted folder to my other devices using DocsToGo for secure passwords like bank account info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like Rod I use browsers take cre of passwords, and for banking and deposit accounts, credit cards etc I depend on memory (when it works) or a locked up in my safe indexed notebook with recorded passwords.

C

chas_m

I use 1Password, but LastPass and Dashlane (et al) are all more or less as good. Mostly I use the built-in iCloud keychain, since it works across devices (as does 1Password, but a touch more awkwardly). I really like the way iCloud Keychain will suggest a strong password and store it in one smooth step. If you use Safari on the Mac, this is probably the best one by virtue of being built in.

If you want a password manager that does more, or works across platforms, then you probably want 1Password. It often goes on sale, so watch for that before buying -- but get a password manager as soon as you can. More and more sites won't accept "simple" passwords, some demand that you regularly change passwords, and in short the strong passwords you can't really memorize are the way to go, necessitating a password manager of some kind.

OP
P
Reaction score
In 1password, can you change the master password or must it remain the same? (If so how?)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think this sort of program will become more and more necessary.

Paul

OP
P
Reaction score
Oh Thanks. How did I miss that? I've bought the 1password for $34 as it looks worth it from the above comments.

I find some pages do not respond to a login demand however and I have to enter my master password every time I enter a new login demand - is that to be expected?
When I used the trial version, if my memory is not at fault, it would allow several demands once the master password had been accepted.

Paul

OP
P
Reaction score
I find 1password difficult to understand. I am having much trouble getting started. I bought my copy direct from the company and not through Apple, does this mean I will not be able to synch to my iPhone? Their instructions are not clear.
Further, I seemed to have created two 1password modules. I have no control over which one pops up when I click the 1password icon. I can't delete one of them. The program is so well applauded on this website so it obviously must be me that's doing something wrong.
Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of 1Password did you buy? The version for OS X does not include iOS devices such as your iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple Watch. Agilebits does sell a 1Password bundle for $69.95 which includes OS X and Windows, however, versions for iOS and Android devices are different. By the way, the current version for OS X is 5.3.

Here is an explanation from Agilebits regarding licensing:

What licenses do I need to use 1Password on all my devices?

How is 1Password licensed?

1Password is licensed per user, per platform. At first glance that sounds complicated, but it’s actually quite simple once you get the hang of it.

The “per user” part means 1Password is licensed to you and not a specific computer or device. This means you do not need to purchase again when you buy another computer or device.

The “per platform” part means 1Password is licensed separately on OS X, Windows, iOS, and Android. This means that your 1Password for Mac license cannot be used to unlock 1Password for iOS.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Agilebits does sell a 1Password bundle for $69.95 which includes OS X and Windows, however, versions for iOS and Android devices are different.

Above you mentioned that 1Password was an expensive first time buy. At $69.95 (1 Password bundle)…yes it is!

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Which version of 1Password did you buy? The version for OS X does not include iOS devices such as your iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple Watch. Agilebits does sell a 1Password bundle for $69.95 which includes OS X and Windows, however, versions for iOS and Android devices are different. By the way, the current version for OS X is 5.3.

Thank you very much chscag. I have 1password 5.2.3 on a Yosemite MacBook Air. I have this problem that i have two different modules of 1Password with different password requirements but cannot delete one of them. don't know how this has happened. Are they 'Vaults'? I find it all very confusing. Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Paul,
Within the 1Password app, on the main menu you have the option to delete a vault.
Just make sure you delete the correct one and not the one with all your passwords :)

Cheers ... McBie

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you very much McBea, I have found the 'Delete Vault' option, however it is greyed out so I cannot delete it! Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.