photo software for Mac 10.10

Reaction score
What's a not-too-huge piece of free (or very inexpensive) software that can deal with RAW files (so, not Gimp), and can do Lightroom-type tasks such as crop, rotate, watermark, spot and red eye fixes? Asking too much...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several good choices from the Mac App Store: Pixelmator ($29.99) and Affinity Photo ($49.99). Of course you have the new Photos if you're running Yosemite and while it's not as powerful as the two mentioned above, it does have good editing capabilities.

Reaction score
What's a not-too-huge piece of free (or very inexpensive) software that can deal with RAW files (so, not Gimp), and can do Lightroom-type tasks such as crop, rotate, watermark, spot and red eye fixes? Asking too much...

Also Darktable. Open source and free. I haven't tried it myself since I get the Adobe suite for free but it aims to replicate what Lightroom does. Affinity has been getting great reviews as well. I don't think it has the photo organization that Lightroom has though, it's more of a Photoshop replacement. Could be wrong though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

There are several good choices from the Mac App Store: Pixelmator ($29.99) and Affinity Photo ($49.99). Of course you have the new Photos if you're running Yosemite and while it's not as powerful as the two mentioned above, it does have good editing capabilities.

Perhaps I have been too swift to write off Photos. I used to have Photoshop Elements, but moving to a new OS made it outdated and unuseable. And Elements was so much better than iPhoto. But I hadn't really paid heed to the new Photos, which now pops up each time I upload new photos until I dismiss it.

I'll open my eyes to it again. I think I found the old way iPhoto organised very messy. Truth is, I can't even afford the inexpensive options. Some of my Pentax K-3 images are too dark and I need to brighten them. And, as I say, copyright-watermark, crop, etc.

thanks very much.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks

Also Darktable. Open source and free. I haven't tried it myself since I get the Adobe suite for free but it aims to replicate what Lightroom does. Affinity has been getting great reviews as well. I don't think it has the photo organization that Lightroom has though, it's more of a Photoshop replacement. Could be wrong though.

And this sounds very appealing--open source and free. It would be nice to be able to organise photos in catalogues (Affinity might not), but I'll check one or both of these out.

OP
M
Reaction score
LOVE this Darktable. It's more attractive than Lightroom, a bit more friendly, as a once-film-person I like the terms "lighttable" and "darkroom" (equivalent to LR's "Library" and "Develop"). LR is more sophisticated with more abilities, but for an open-source program, Darktable is really excellent. Thanks so much! I think I'll also dabble a bit in Photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.