Xcode functioning and membership necessity

Reaction score
I just downloaded Xcode for Objective C self-learning, I have logged-in my apple ID in Xcode.

What confused me is there seems constrain for editing due to identifiers missing, messages as below:

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-28%20at%2012.30.23%20pm_zpssymg4wkg.png

If I understand correctly, the identifier exists just for people who has registered for the $99 yearly developer membership. Does it mean I cannot learn and testify objective C through Xcode if I don't pay for it?

I am tad confused if I pay for the membership but it takes me years to trial and error to successfully publish the application and I will have to pay for years for the membership, then would be a big amount.

And Xcode keeps saying that my Apple account is not on development team but I have already registered for developer yet pay for $99 for the membership.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-28%20at%201.01.19%20pm_zps05k95z5l.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-28%20at%203.44.45%20pm_zpsvtpciupb.png

^ It just leads me to pay for the membership with my every click to 'fix issue'...

If I have mistaken the above idea, how can I use Xcode with full functions?

Please forgive my innocence for the structure, I am a total newbie to programming and application. Your advices will be much appreciated!:)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can use Xcode to do all development without paying the yearly membership. Without the membership, you can only test your application on the simulator.

To test on a real device, you need a deployment profile which is only available once you become a paying developer.

Your issues with the Storyboard has NOTHING to do with your membership, that's a coding error. You might want to get a book or two that teach you how to program in iOS and go from there..

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you Raz0rEdge. This mist bothering me for days has now been cleared!

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
You can use Xcode to do all development without paying the yearly membership. Without the membership, you can only test your application on the simulator.

To test on a real device, you need a deployment profile which is only available once you become a paying developer.

Your issues with the Storyboard has NOTHING to do with your membership, that's a coding error. You might want to get a book or two that teach you how to program in iOS and go from there..

Here comes a similar situation:

the project don't have bugs/coding errors but the building process kept failing, just showed up the message regarding certificate. Can it run again without paying for the development team?

488545-d5b9ff4c0cf987fc9fb5c0127a82a3de.jpg

488546-a6073e256fe402d773861e2c7116a590.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.