• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tmobile MDA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
Ok so Im thinking of getting this phone. Does anyone have it? can you let me know if its worth it. its going to cost me $350 plus an additional $30 per month on my bill. Any reviews are apreciated.

K

Kokopelli

I have it, but I have it for a specific reason. What do you think you will use this phone for? Do you have a PDA now? If you are not a hard core gadget freak who likes to tinker or a veteran PDA user I would not recommend it. I love this phone to death but I am a PDA user who needed a phone, not a phone user who wanted some extra functionality.

I am an extremely heavy EDGE Data user. I need the ability to remote into my servers from anywhere in case of emergency. My 9100 allows me to do that and I find it an indespensible tool. In my opinion though a convergence device like this is made or broken not by what it comes with, but by what you add to it. The default calander and todo leave a lot to be desired. Webis Pocket Informant is a must buy for me. There are quite a few other programs I use but Pocket Informant is the only one I consider a "must."

Next is synchronization with the Mac. As I stated before in my screw up, it can't be done right now. My office uses Lotus Notes so I have a third party product that synchs with that. Assuming you are not (un)fortunate enough to have Notes, your options for syching are much more limited. Contacts can be done via Plaxo, but not clander or tasks. So efectively till someone creates gets WM5 support you are not carrying over calendar and tasks between your Mac and Phone, which honestly would destroy the usability for me.

For software installs and such you will either need a Windows machine or get just the CABs and transfer over via bluetooth. This is not as big a deal as it was in WM2003SE but still a little extra step.

You are not going to get reviews for the MDA. My suggestion is to do a google for the HTC Wizard or the iMate K-Jam. They are all the same phone, just branded differently.

OP
evolve
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
thanks for the info. It's a funny thing. when I didnt have the money, I wanted this phone so badly. Now that I have the money, Ive been debating the issue. Right now I have a Nokia 6600. Although a bit sluggish at times, it does sync my contacts and calander events VERY well with isync. I wish a PDA/phone would come out with a similar OS like OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
evolve said:
It's a funny thing. when I didnt have the money, I wanted this phone so badly. Now that I have the money, Ive been debating the issue.

Well, that's the difference between mere window shopping and spending actual money that you actually have :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.