What was the OS backup system before Time Machine?

Reaction score
We have a bunch of old, old backups that were created by the old OS X backup system, but none of us can remember what the darn app was called so that we can go back and find a solution to reading the archives? Can anyone help? It was a little orange icon...that's all the bread crumbs I have. ;) Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Who knows... that was ancient times. :) Take a look here and see if you recognize any or one of the names. The list goes way back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest either Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper (SD).

C

chas_m

There was a backup program called Backup that was offered with Apple's MobileMe service. That may be what you are thinking of -- I believe it was the first Apple-offered backup program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What are the names of the "backups", or more specifically, the extension that might give some idea of the associated backup application???

Are you sure they were for OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We have a bunch of old, old backups that were created by the old OS X backup system, but none of us can remember what the darn app was called so that we can go back and find a solution to reading the archives? Can anyone help? It was a little orange icon...that's all the bread crumbs I have. ;) Thanks!

Well, not really interested in 'pecking at bread crumbs' but curious why you want to resurrect the 'dead sea scrolls' - ;)

In checking this Wiki Article, the first OS X release was back in 2001 and called Cheetah (quote below) - BOY, a long time ago in computer years - I came into Apple OS X at 10.8 - not sure if you know the age of these archives and whether you can even open them? Will be interested to see - good luck! Dave :)

On March 24, 2001, Apple released Mac OS X v10.0 (internally codenamed Cheetah).[16] The initial version was slow, incomplete, and had very few applications available at the time of its launch, mostly from independent developers. While many critics suggested that the operating system was not ready for mainstream adoption, they recognized the importance of its initial launch as a base on which to improve.

article-0-0777ED73000005DC-219_634x349.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW!!! That quoted review is polite.

My programming son was forced to install it to check compatibility for the software they were asked to help develop and that's all he used it for, and it lasted a week at most on one of my spare volumes.

Bottom line, it was godawful as an operating system and barely even ran properly!!

But this is OT for the OP… sorry. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
God is not awful- just the reverse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fixed the stupid autocorrect mistake and manually replaced with the proper Oxford dictionary godawful word definition and spelling. Thanks. ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
There was a backup program called Backup that was offered with Apple's MobileMe service. That may be what you are thinking of -- I believe it was the first Apple-offered backup program.

Nailed it, thanks! Of course it was called "Backup" - way to make it impossible to Google, Apple! ;P

C

chas_m

Ha, you think that's bad -- the "little brother" version of the Mac utility "Onyx" is called "Maintenance" -- just TRY to find it in a search engine as the top hit!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.