MSN Messenger file transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7, iBook G4, iPod 5th Gen 30Gb
Hi guys,

I've got a problem with messenger (it's not the same as the other thread)

Basically the file transfer is really slow. On my PC it used to be much quicker.

And it's not the other people's comps/ connection either. I'm currently sending something to my housemate upstairs on our network via messenger.

I've tried playing with the OSX firewall settings and added the correct ports for file exchange and stuff but still the prolem persists.

I''ve downloaded Adium to see if that changes anything, I'm not sure if it will though.

Can anyone help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
I'm suspecting that the MS Messenger for Mac doesn't connect directly to your buddy in the same LAN, as the MS Messenger for PC does. Rather, it actually sends the files over the Internet. Noticed the same behaviour here.

Then again, I could be wrong, I'm new :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't know what the problem is, but I do know that adium will not fix it.. Adium is still working at getting their file transfers right, they currently don't work (often, every once in a while you will get one or two to go through)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.