Advice on when to upgrade a Macbook Air please?

Reaction score
Hello!
I am looking for some advice on when I should upgrade my mid 2012 macbook air. It has the upgraded 8GB of Ram and 128GB storage with a 1.8 ghz Intel Core i5 processor running on the latest iOS.

My problem : It runs great but applecare has run out.It is getting older and it is what I rely on for college. With the new college year coming up money is tight but I could upgrade to the current macbook Air (after selling this one)

Should I wait to see if Apple upgrades the macbook air further down the road this year?

Do I keep this laptop and use it until it dies?

Do I upgrade while I am able to sell this one and have the money to do so?

Should I upgrade to a different apple laptop entirely?

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple last updated the MacBook Air machines in March of this year, so I would not expect to see an update until probably early next year 2016. You could probably sell your 2012 model and use that money toward a newer MacBook Air or even a MacBook Pro. You know your budget best and what you need for another college year. Apple is offering a back to school discount of around $100 so it might be a good time to shop.

Reaction score
Hello!
I am looking for some advice on when I should upgrade my mid 2012 macbook air. It has the upgraded 8GB of Ram and 128GB storage with a 1.8 ghz Intel Core i5 processor running on the latest iOS.

My problem : It runs great but applecare has run out.It is getting older and it is what I rely on for college. With the new college year coming up money is tight but I could upgrade to the current macbook Air (after selling this one)

Should I wait to see if Apple upgrades the macbook air further down the road this year?

Do I keep this laptop and use it until it dies?

Do I upgrade while I am able to sell this one and have the money to do so?

Should I upgrade to a different apple laptop entirely?

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated thanks!

I am using a late 2008 MacBook pro as a college student (7 years old this fall). I do pretty heavy programming on it as well as photo editing as a side hobby and it more than suffices. It's starting to show it's age, but it will last me another year or two needed to finish my PhD. As long as you take care of it there really shouldn't be any reason to upgrade now, especially if money is tight. If space is an issue you can replace the flash storage in those things fairly simply.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm running a 2008 MacBook Pro and it's still running well. It's starting to show its age but still does what I need it to do reasonably quickly. Would I like a new system? Yes, but I don't need a new one badly enough to buy just yet.

I think the question of what to upgrade to is putting the cart before the horse so to speak. If I were you I'd ask the following questions first:

1. Does your current machine do what you need it to do?
2. Does your current machine do what you are likely to need / want it to do in the next 2 or 3 years?
3. Dyes your machine do what you need it to do well (i.e. fast enough not to be an annoyance on a regular basis)?

If the answer to these questions is no it might be time to look at a new machine. If the answer is yes wait for a while longer, save your pennies, and get an even better machine later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.