How to buy an iTunes song with Apple Music subscription?

Reaction score
Hello All,
I subscribed to Apple Music. I found a couple new tracks I want to burn to a CD to play in my car. Obviously, any tracks downloaded for offline use will be DRM locked due to the Apple Music subscription. My question: How can I buy a song in iTunes to legally make it mine and do what I want with, while still subscribed to Apple Music? Is this even possible? If I right-click the track that I have "downloaded for offline use" and click "Show in iTunes Store", the only option is to Play it, there's not "Purchase" option.

Thanks,
Ryan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
G'day and welcome to Mac-Forums xcomvan . . .

What you want to do, is doable in iTunes now.

When you see the song you want, at the end of it you will see the 'More' Icon denoted by 3 dots ••• click that and then down to 'Show in iTunes' From there you can buy the song you want.

I find this cumbersome, and hope they will change this in future updates. I suppose there thinking is, because you subscribe to listen for free, why would you buy, but anyways thats how to do it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another goof from this music service that's going to cost the artist's money. You can't buy a song that way from the U.S. based music service.

There is no option available to purchase any songs that you have added to My Music from the Apple Music Service except as a gift. It doesn't matter how you go find that song in the iTunes store. As long as you have it your library, you can't buy it. In order to have the option to purchase the song, you will first have to delete the song from your library.

On the other hand, if you already own the song, the option to purchase it is there - even if you have already purchased that song from iTunes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.