Fix smart folders/searching?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
I've been using Yosemite from the beginning and Mail has been rock solid except that Smart Folders didn't work for the first two days then started working. Strange!

Now, a year later, - they have stopped working. Yesterday early they were fine. Later in the day I cloned the system as a backup (Now my backup system has the same problem). Today I notice that Smart Folders as well as the Search function produce no results.

Help! How does one get this to work again? I suppose it's not the end of the world, but I make a lot of use of both functions.

On startup of Mail, in the console, I get a whole bunch of lines of:
7/24/15 4:35:34.281 PM Mail[481]: dnssd_clientstub DNSServiceProcessResult called with DNSServiceRef with no ProcessReply function

Don't know if this is related or not.

Ideas please!

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2012 MackBook Pro, 2.53 GHz i7, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD MacOS 10.14.6
Well, guess what. It was my own fault. I just found out that Spotlight is the indexing engine for Smart Folders/Searches. I had told Spotlight not to search my HD thinking it was only for when using Spotlight which I didn't see any use for 99% of the time. Enabled both and everything is ok.

Sorry for wasting the space here, but I suspect that not everyone knows that Spotlight is the key.

Cliff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.