Wallpaper photo that I can't find

M

Matterest

Hi. I have a photo as wallpaper on my desktop that I simply cannot find the file for anywhere on my hard drive or elsewhere. It's not in iPhoto, my Pictures folder, or anywhere else that I can discern in my home/user folder.

When I go to System Preferences -> Desktop, it isn't in any of the folders that it lets me chose from. The thing is, I really want to keep a decent res copy of this picture. I just can't locate it. It has to be somewhere in order for the OS to be accessing it as wallpaper, right?

Can anyone provide some insight?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

**running 10.6 Snow Leopard on a 2011 MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go into System Preferences > Desktop and Screensaver and poke around there. Can;t remember if Snow Leopard has the iPhoto gallery or if this came with a later operating system only'

Reaction score
Is it possible this was a pic online that you right-clicked, "Use as Desktop"'ed?
If so it's probably in the desktop cache and probably not recoverable.
Might try taking a screenshot with the Dock hidden and crop out the menubar in a gfx app.
Or, I could be totally wrong. I'm on a PC right now and don't remember if you even can do the use as desktop thing on a Mac.
Too lazy to start the Macbook to find out :p

OP
M

Matterest

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Go into System Preferences > Desktop and Screensaver and poke around there. Can;t remember if Snow Leopard has the iPhoto gallery or if this came with a later operating system only'

Thanks man. I looked in the files that the Desktop Wallpaper tool in System Preferences pulls from. It isn't there. Super weird.

OP
M

Matterest

Is it possible this was a pic online that you right-clicked, "Use as Desktop"'ed?
If so it's probably in the desktop cache and probably not recoverable.
Might try taking a screenshot with the Dock hidden and crop out the menubar in a gfx app.
Or, I could be totally wrong. I'm on a PC right now and don't remember if you even can do the use as desktop thing on a Mac.
Too lazy to start the Macbook to find out :p

Thanks. This was def a picture that existed at some point, not just a right click. I was hoping I didn't have to resort to the screenshot thing, but I just might. Still hoping to find the original file...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I don't remember if this worked on Snow Leopard but in Yosemite if you Right click on a vacant area of the desktop and select Get Info the resulting window shows the path to the picture file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.