Upgrade to Photos from iPhotos

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded to Yosemite and therefore now have Photos instead of iPhotos. I used to be able to add watermark copyright info to my photos in iPhotos, but cannot work out how to do this with Photos. Can someone please help me?

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even though you now have Yosemite, the iPhoto program still exists on your Mac. Just continue to use iPhoto until you have learned how to use Photos. Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer so can't help you with the watermark. I do know that you can add a copyright watermark to the photo with Microsoft Word (if that helps).

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry, I'll be more specific! My old MacBook Pro running OS X Lion kept crashing, so I bought a new MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite. My old laptop had iPhotos but the new one only has Photos. I'm sure I can work my way around the new system, but don't have the applications for adding watermarks anymore.

I don't use Microsoft Word, but do use iWork. Do you think it's possible to add watermarks using the Pages application?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I'm aware, the new version of Pages which came with your Mac does not have the capability built in to add a copyright watermark. There may be some free templates that you can download which will give you that capability. Also, I believe (but not sure how) you can add a copyright watermark using the Preview app. There are also apps available in the Mac App Store which you can download that will do a copyright watermark. And while you're at it, open the Mac App Store from your new Mac and go to "Purchases". See if iPhoto is listed under your purchases. If it is, it means you can download it to your new Mac. (Make sure you use your same Apple ID when accessing the Mac App Store.)

Reaction score
Check out Affinity Photos. New powerful inexpensive photo editing app from UK that is attracting a lot of attention. I imagine that it can add text. I put a watermark on an image with their drawing app Affinity Designer the other day. Just exported the image from Photo to desktop, dragged it into AD, dropped in artistic text, typed MOCKUP, grabbed the rotate handle to position it, grabbed the size handle to enlarge it, then adjusted the transparency slider, saved it and done. I imagine AP has those text tools. I will try to remember to check when the cat succeeds in getting me up.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@chscag

And while you're at it, open the Mac App Store from your new Mac and go to "Purchases". See if iPhoto is listed under your purchases. If it is, it means you can download it to your new Mac. (Make sure you use your same Apple ID when accessing the Mac App Store.)

I'd be really interested to know if this works. There is no doubt that a user upgrading to Yosemite, still retains iPhoto and it has been established that if their iPhoto app is not up-to-date, they can remove it from the Applications Folder and download the latest version via App Store > Purchases as you said.

But is this still true for a person buying a new Mac with pre-installed Yosemite if they previously purchased iPhoto for their old Mac? It should in my view, but it would be good to have this confirmed.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But is this still true for a person buying a new Mac with pre-installed Yosemite if they previously purchased iPhoto for their old Mac? It should in my view, but it would be good to have this confirmed.

As far as I'm aware, as long as you access the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID, items that were purchased in the past should still be available for download. I'm on my third Mac and this has been true for me.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you Charlie. Useful to confirm for people following this thread.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
''.

But is this still true for a person buying a new Mac with pre-installed Yosemite if they previously purchased iPhoto for their old Mac? I

Wait a minute... I never purchased iPhoto separately from the OS. I have never logged in to the App Store, don't have an account, obviously. iPhoto came with Snow Leopard. Does this mean when I finally buy a new Mac that I will have to pay extra for iPhoto? (Assuming I do so before iPhoto is phased out. Hopefully that won't be until the bugs are worked out of Photos. Curious, that name change... like Calendar instead of iCal? [feel free to correct that if it's wrong.])

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@toMAcash

I must let my more learned friend, chscag, speak for himself. But my understanding had always been that if you owned (ie purchased) an OS where iPhoto was an included app, then you could re-download iPhoto for free at a future date. This is definitely and unequivocally true if you upgrade from one OS to another (SL to Yosemite in your case). But I did just wonder if you bought a new Mac with Yosemite pre-installed, whether that remained the case. It seemed logical that it should , but I raised the question anyway and chscag (Charlie) confirmed that this was so in his experience.

In your case, come the day when you either upgrade to Yosemite (or whatever is current at the time); or whether you buy a new Mac, then the fact that you previously owned iPhoto as part of SL, means that you can still get the latest version of iPhoto for free by going to the App Store and clicking on the purchases tab.

Ian

EDIT: as long as iPhotos is still being supported at the time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
@toMAcash

In your case, come the day when you either upgrade to Yosemite ...

Nope. Could only go to Lion on this machine.

Thanks for your reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.