Organising photos in Photos - outside of Photos - NOT possible??

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been a very happy user of Aperture for several years. Now that Apple has decided to introduce "Photos" to replace both iPhoto AND Aperture, I've started to have a look at Photos. I have never been a fan of letting Photo-applications take care of how my photos are actually stored (and where) on my HD. I also like my photo-files to have a filename of the type "2015-07-13 at 13-42.jpg", stored in a folder that I can decide the name of (or it could be the same as my "Project"), and in a folder pr. year. All this worked beautifully in Aperture. I just had to tell Aperture where it should place my imported photos, and it did. This, as far as I can tell, is not possible to do at all in the brand new Photos-app. There is no support at all for automatic rename of files during import, and close to no support with regards to where the photo-files end up. You only have the choice of a) let Photos take care of the storing (in some odd file structure well hidden from you), or to leave the files at their original place during import (which means I must find some other app that can lift the files from my SD-card, and place them (and rename them) to my desired folder.
Is this really so? Am I right when I say that Photos has no support what so ever for these functions (like Aperture had)?? If so, from my point of view, Photos is a major step backwards, and not a step forward....

So far, I'll stick to my old Aperture. I do not see any good reason to move to Photos, not at least yet.

Any others having the same/or similar first experience with Photos?

BR,
Arne

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So far, I'll stick to my old Aperture. I do not see any good reason to move to Photos, not at least yet.

I think that's a good decision until Apple further develops Photos. Aperture will continue to work just fine until sometime in the future when it will be outmoded. I personally find Photos easy to use and suitable for my needs but I'm not into photography other than to take an occasional photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
"...some other app that can lift the files from my SD-card, and place them (and rename them) to my desired folder."

Apart from the renaming bit, covered in recent posts, you already have such an app - its called Finder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.