Macbook Pro mid 2012 is running slow

Reaction score
Hello everyone im new to the forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section. My mac book all of the sudden started running slow. I've looked everywhere online. Everyone says the same things I've tried everything Onyx, I bought ram and now I have 10gbs of ram, ive tried disk repair(utility) and all of its options, I've looked at the cpu usage the ram usage every type of usage everything is minimal but I always get the spinning ball of death. Im running Yosemite. Any help?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How much free space do you have on the hard drive? Do you typically run more than one program at a time? If so, which ones? Have you changed / added any software /hardware recently? Were the problems in place before the ram upgrade?

OP
P
Reaction score
Out of 500gbs, 354gbs are free. The problem was before the ram, I added the ram hoping it would speed it up(it did a little). I dont run that many programs that use up CPU and ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you share a screenshot of the activity monitor, more specifically the CPU usage ( make sure you are showing " all processes ). Sort by CPU usage.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
P
Reaction score
Screen_Shot_2015_07_22_at_11_37_50_AM.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post and image have now been approved for viewing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What happens if you shutdown and then boot up using Safe Boot Mode??

Then try using your Mac, not forgetting that not everything will work properly.

Press and hold the shift key when you hear the boot chime and until you see the spinning grey wheel or progress bar, and then select your admin user and login.

To get back to "normal", just restart.

See if things improve and post back.

C

chas_m

Is this the original hard drive? It's getting on a bit, possibly it is starting to fail. Keep your backups up to date and consider getting a new/bigger HD or SSD. I'm not saying this IS the problem, I'm saying it *could be* the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you take another screenshot with the " most CPU hungry " processes at the top please ... :)
I think we are not seeing the processes that burn most of your CPU cycles.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
P
Reaction score
Ive checked the CPU their is not that much going on. I booted in Safe mode and it was still slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.