Yosemite ruined IPhoto

Reaction score
Imports don't work with USB drives, exports can not be done with reduced size. Many bugs. What happened?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Last edited:
C

chas_m

Nothing happened. iPhoto continues to work exactly as it always has.

Possibly you're mistaking Photos (a different program designed to take over from iPhoto, which has been discontinued) for iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Which chas iPhoto discontinued or Photo (hopefully) as it does not impress me at all.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think Chas means that Photos (new program introduced with Yosemite) will be the death of iPhoto (older program which pre-dates Yosemite). Unless Apple reverses its decision that seemed pretty clear to me after the keynote event last month.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has already stated that iPhoto will not be updated nor will Aperture, however, they will continue to work until they become outmoded. Lots of folks who are complaining about the Photos app have not taken the time or the energy to actually use it and learn it. It's what's known as "resistant to change".

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It really is amazing how many people thought Photos replaced iPhoto (which of course it will in time) but really I think it was very considerate for Apple to allow both of them to function side by side till people got over the differences.

C

chas_m

Also I can verify that iPhoto and Photos both work just fine with USB thumb drives or external USB-connected hard drives, so I really have no idea what the OP is on about.

Reaction score
Problems with Photos for Mac

Apple has already stated that iPhoto will not be updated nor will Aperture, however, they will continue to work until they become outmoded. Lots of folks who are complaining about the Photos app have not taken the time or the energy to actually use it and learn it. It's what's known as "resistant to change".

I have always welcomed change and valued everything that Apple offered, "having wasted years of my life attempting to resolve Microsoft issues" Now I feel completely frustrated and badly let down with the recent 'Photos' library offered as a replacement of iPhoto and Aperture!

My newly upgraded Photos archive is in such a mess now, having attempted to migrate my iPhoto and Aperture Libraries. For some reason my lost Aperture Albums have been saved as iPhoto events for some reason.

My old Slide shows will no longer run the assigned music tracks selected in the media browser. Instead the Slideshow plays just a default track offered by Apple.

I haven't time to sort them manually, so guess I need to go back to Time Machine and recover a previous "Back-up date Folder"? How then do I deal with recently imported photographs that won't appear on this "Backup Restore"? My only resolve now would be to re-invest in another costly Photo management database i.e. Lightroom or similar!!

I can't believe how Apple have allowed this to happen, affecting so many photo enthusiasts, who were their most loyal supporters and campainers ! :Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As stated above, iPhoto and Aperture will continue to function until such time they're outmoded. If you have been making backups, you can always resurrect your iPhoto and Aperture libraries. Investing in Lightroom is up to you, however, since you already have Aperture, why not continue to use it?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is that Apple anticipated the problems OP's were going to have with the transition to Photos which is why they kept iPhoto running rather than replacing it. I am proud of my wife who after 3 weeks has ceased using iPhoto and now uses Photos exclusively. She too has been esistant to change sometimes but has accepted the inevitable and embraced the new app while she still had iPhoto to fall back on. Considering she does a lot of photography I'm proud of her willingness.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using Photos ever since I installed Yosemite and rather like it. I'm a sometimes photographer so I can't speak for the folks who are serious photo takers either for hobby or for a living. But I do know that everything I was able to do with iPhoto, I seem to be able to do just as well with Photos.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I've been using Photos ever since I installed Yosemite and rather like it. I'm a sometimes photographer so I can't speak for the folks who are serious photo takers either for hobby or for a living. But I do know that everything I was able to do with iPhoto, I seem to be able to do just as well with Photos.

Agreed. Same here. I really like Photos.

C

chas_m

I am still using iPhoto (though playing around in Photos for Mac) due to one reason, really, and that is that in iPhoto I can "round trip" an image into Photoshop or some other external photo editor, and the saved results go right back to iPhoto. Photos doesn't let you do this (yet), so it's less convenient for me to work in.

But other than that, there's really a LOT less difference between iPhoto and Photos than people seem to believe. The more I work with Photos, the more I am struck by how this is really just a "bringing the app up to code" sort of thing, to borrow a construction-industry phrase. Photos is waaay faster than iPhoto, and nearly everything that was in iPhoto is in Photos, its just that the furniture got moved around.

I recently taught a class on Photos, even though I don't use it full-time, and what I discovered among the audience was that -- again and again -- what they were really made about was either the impression that iPhoto had been deleted, leaving them with no choice (which as incorrect, but could have been handled better by Apple) or that there was *one particular thing* they couldn't figure out how to do now that they used to do in iPhoto.

Once I ran through how things were organised in Photos, and answered that one issue they were having, most everyone's attitudes towards the program changed completely, and they were much more ready to delve into it and learn it.

I think I'll probably wait until the first big update to Photos before switching over completely, but that's likely coming this fall so I'm not especially worried about it, since I still have iPhoto. I have the luxury of playing around with and learning Photos better without it being "mandatory" yet, which I find is the best way to handle these sorts of product transitions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, Speaking of FASTER, Tonight I tried importing photos with my Canon camera. The Import and even logging the photos on the camera to import is way faster than iPhoto on the same system. I was very impressed by the speed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I noticed a difference in import speed but I have a small number of Photos. I haven't really done a lot recently with either program. I really should take more photos.

It took mw a minute to figure out where the tools were. Overall I like the arrangement. Being a lefty I almost wish the tools were either on the left side or detachable a la Photoshop palates. Minor quibble but that's just me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.