Should I Just Shoot It in the...?

C

chaloots

Re: Powerbook G3 Bronze (no problems since new) running OS9.2

Here's the situation... message appears on the screen "Mac OS ROM
missing in the System Folder" (or something like that), screen is frozen.
I manually re-start. (oops!)

Yes... It's the Dreaded Blinking ? Folder. After a few minutes it volunteers
to shut down. Start up again with same results.

Next, start up using OS CD. It boots up but the Hard Drive not mounted.
(of course, it warned me that Mac OS ROM is missing, so no HD). Can't run
fix it utility, no HD recognized. Can't Repair Disk, no HD recognized etc...

OK, I have everything backed up on external hard drive (whew!!)...but what can I do to get the old work horse up and running again.

Or should I just shoot it in the head and put it out of it's misery?

C.

OP
B

Badger

From the symptoms it sounds like the HD has died. You can replace it yourself (check http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/ for a walk-through and parts) but it may be cheaper to look around for a used pbook instead of buying parts.

OP
C

chaloots

Could be the HD, although the initial warning was...MAC OS ROM is missing from the Systems Folder..., this indicates a software problem, No?

So if that's the case... how do I get the MAC OS ROM file back into the Systems Folder. To get at the Systems Folder, the HD needs to be mounted... to mount the HD, need MAC OS ROM in the Systems Folder... yadda yadda yadda !

OP
B

Badger

If the missing rom file was the base of the problem you would still be able to mount and repair the hard disk from a CD. You would also hear the HD spin up. IMO, the missing rom message popped up because the boot process was partially complete when the HD died. It tried to continue but couldn't because the system (including the boot rom) were no longer available. Getting the flashing ? on following attempts shows that there is no bootable system and the failure to mount the hard disk, even with a repair utility, indicates it is a hardware problem. You could open it up to check the cable & power connections but that is a remote possibility.

OP
C

chaloots

OK. Looks like the option at this point is to replace the HD. Perhaps I can also upgrade to let's say to a 20GB or more.

Should I consider a "used" drive available online or eBay? Any feedback on this would be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

C.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.