2009 MBP Power Chord / Battery Issue

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2009 MBP that has been incredible to me over the years.

Unfortunately, my power chord / battery has been having issues lately.

At first, the power chord would only be recognized (light up) and charge when the chord was placed in certain positions. If you moved, or stepped on the chord or the chord moved, the connection would be lost and the light would go down.

Now, the chord won't light up or charge no matter what position I put it in. I have done the battery reboots and all that good stuff.

Any idea on if the battery has to be replaced (I haven't had to yet) or if I need a new chord. Or is it something more than that? Would taking it to an apple store do the right tests on it?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any idea on if the battery has to be replaced (I haven't had to yet) or if I need a new chord. Or is it something more than that?

Have you tried cleaning the power cord connector and/or the power port on the computer? I usually like to use an old toothbrush for this.

As far as the battery. How many charge cycles does it have?

Would taking it to an apple store do the right tests on it?

This certainly wouldn't hurt. The Apple stores will usually do this sort of testing for free.

But I would say try the cleaning first. And let us know how many charge cycles are on the battery before heading to the Apple Store.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning the power cord connector and/or the power port on the computer? I usually like to use an old toothbrush for this.

As far as the battery. How many charge cycles does it have?

This certainly wouldn't hurt. The Apple stores will usually do this sort of testing for free.

But I would say try the cleaning first. And let us know how many charge cycles are on the battery before heading to the Apple Store.

- Nick

I did clean it based on another suggestion I read online. I used a qtip. No difference.

The cycle count according to the "About This Mac" section reads 328 cycles.

It also says below "Condition: Service Battery"

I'm assuming this is the answer? Battery issue?

Why wouldn't the computer work when plugged in without the battery?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before I make any further guess's or theories…it would probably be best to know exactly what model MacBook Pro you have.

There were multiple MBP releases in 2009…with multiple models in each release. 2009 was also a year when Apple made a big changes in the sort of battery that was used.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Before I make any further guess's or theories…it would probably be best to know exactly what model MacBook Pro you have.

There were multiple MBP releases in 2009…with multiple models in each release. 2009 was also a year when Apple made a big changes in the sort of battery that was used.

- Nick

MBP, Mid 2009, 2.53 GHz, 15 inch, 4GB Memory.

Anything else that would help with that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, Mid 2009, 2.53 GHz, 15 inch, 4GB Memory.

Anything else that would help with that?

Thanks for the info.:)

If I got your MBP model correct…it has the non-user replaceable battery (is this correct)? If so…these battery's are supposed to be good for 1000 charge cycles. If yours only has 328 cycles…and it says "Service Battery"…something doesn't sound right.

On the other hand. If it did have the user replaceable battery. These battery's are only good for 300 cycles. Thus with 328 cycles…the Service Battery message could be appropriate.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.:)

If I got your MBP model correct…it has the non-user replaceable battery (is this correct)? If so…these battery's are supposed to be good for 1000 charge cycles. If yours only has 328 cycles…and it says "Service Battery"…something doesn't sound right.

On the other hand. If it did have the user replaceable battery. These battery's are only good for 300 cycles. Thus with 328 cycles…the Service Battery message could be appropriate.

- Nick

It is the non-user replaceable battery.

OP
R
Reaction score
I was able to get a coworkers chord and plug it in. It recognized the chord and started charging. I think the chord is the problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was able to get a coworkers chord and plug it in. It recognized the chord and started charging. I think the chord is the problem.

Great you tried this.:) I was going to suggest it & it slipped my mind.

Yes I agree. if someone else's cord works…sound like a new one is needed.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Great you tried this.:) I was going to suggest it & it slipped my mind.

Yes I agree. if someone else's cord works…sound like a new one is needed.

- Nick

Thanks!

Is the Apple Store the best place to purchase a new charger?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the Apple Store the best place to purchase a new charger?

The Apple Store is probably the best place to purchase a brand new one.

They are also sold on eBay. Used Apple units…and 3rd party knock-offs which can be of varying quality.

Up to you.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd say you've just got one of Apple's famous frayed cord power adapters, a very common problem. Just google it.

If you're lucky enough at the Apple Store, they may just replace it for you, and hopefully ant no charge.

Their power adapters still have a poor cable and strain relief quality and design.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.