Hard Drive Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, i5 processor, 256GB flash memory. iPad Air 1st Gen 64GB. iPhone 6+ 16GB.
Hi Everyone,

New to using Mac. I had laptop for long time and had a seagate 2TB external HD. I backed up all files and reformatted the HD to exFat. Problem I read was that it won't read files over 4GB. On the HD there are no files over 4GB but some folders are.

Would that mean it won't read the files inside the folders?

Gutted as I can't watch my DVDs that I copied onto the HD thru my LG BluRay player.

Can someone suggest a solution to try in this area.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 4 GB limitation for FAT does not apply to exFAT. Nor does it apply to folders on any FAT drive.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, i5 processor, 256GB flash memory. iPad Air 1st Gen 64GB. iPhone 6+ 16GB.
Thanks.

On further notice I see that when I format the drive and select exFat it actually formats to MS-DOT (FAT).

Just annoying as I have over 1TB saved on the HD and can't access any files through my BluRay player or USB on TV. Whereas before when the HD was formatted to work with a Dell Laptop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Most B-R players and TVs require either FAT32 or NTFS formatted drives to be able to read them.
You're going to have to format it back to whichever of those you had been using.

Why did you change the format of the external drive?
If your issue was that you were unable to write new data to the NTFS formatted drive from your Mac, you'll need to get Paragon's NTFS for Mac in order to write to a NTFS drive from OS X.

Although, I've found Airplay via an AppleTV to be much easier than having to continually move an external drive back and forth between the entertainment center and your computer just to watch another movie. That external just becomes another backup drive for your movies and stays in one place.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I doing something wrong?

When I go into Disk Utilities to format I select 2TB Seagate Desktop and in the format drop down I select exFat. Then click erase. Once it clears the disc it goes back to MS-DOT (FAT).

Under where it lets you select 2TB Seagate Desktop it has an Untitled option.When I click that it shows as exFAT format. I have tried to go and install Paragons but my issue still arises that I can see the files on the hard drive but when connected to the TV or BluRay player it shows no files and I can not view anything.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Read my post above.

Apparently your TV and B-R player cannot read exFAT partitions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.