Wireless signal strength

Reaction score
We've been having all sorts of Wi-Fi problems and on checking the internet I find this application that they say is "buried" within the OS X operating system but I can't get seem to find it or get access to it. I follow the /System/Library/CoreServices/ link but there is no" WiFi Diagnostics" there, just a WiFi folder. I'm running OS X 10.10.4

How to Check Wireless Signal Strength and Optimize WiFi Networks in Mac OS X | OSXDaily

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You want the "network diagnostics.app" located in the same place you quoted above. There is no such app "wireless signal strength".

M

MacInWin

Or you can hold down the "Option" key and click on the WiFI symbol on the top bar and choose "Open Wireless Diagnostics.."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
We've been having all sorts of Wi-Fi problems and on checking the internet I find this application that they say is "buried" within the OS X operating system but I can't get seem to find it or get access to it. I follow the /System/Library/CoreServices/ link but there is no" WiFi Diagnostics" there, just a WiFi folder. I'm running OS X 10.10.4

Well, you've already received great advice and a way to find the app desired - but, you may want to provide some further information: 1) What is your Wi-Fi setup (modem, router, ISP, etc.); 2) When did your problems start (and whether related to some change in your software/hardware); 3) What specifically are your problems (e.g. are all of your devices, computers, iDevices, etc. affected or just specific ones); and 4) What have you done so far to correct the situation? Might be of further help if the 'diagnostics' fail to provide an answer(s). Dave :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks guys - I was initially only going by the name of the App mentioned in the article.
We've had problems with our BT set-up, initially with receiving the sports program. We were then using their Home Hub3. They "upgraded" this to Hub4 and then Hub5 but we immediately noticed a big drop in our WiFi coverage.
They have now (it seems) sorted out the sports problem and we have gone back to the Hub3 and have got a reasonably WiFi coverage again but there are dead spots. BT have suggested WiFi boosters so I wanted to check around the house using either my MBP or mobile to see exactly where the dead spots were, the signal strength at those locations, hence the link to WiFi Diagnostics, which I couldn't find.
Running the diagnostics mentioned above, where I have a good signal just tells me my WiFi is OK, which I know.
My full internet set-up
Phone line to BT HomeHub3.
Ethernet cable to BT Vision Box.
Ethernet cable to BT Power Adapter to take signal upstairs to main DT computer.
I have one TP-LINK in the bedroom to boost wifi in there.
I have been monitoring around the house using NetSpot but when I saw there was a "built in" diagnostic tool I wanted to try that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.