Not Too Expensive/Free App for Data Recovery?

Reaction score
So long story short, stupid me partitioned my seagate external hard drive so I can use it on my mac and pc, but without saving all of the files first.

Now here I am crapping my pants doing everything I can because I had some important documents on my external hard drive and I need to recover them ASAP.

Any recommendations?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, but good data recovery software is not free nor is it "not too expensive". How much is your data worth to you?

Data Rescue 4

M

MacInWin

Nothing is cheap in this arena. DataRescue 4 is pretty good, but I don't know how well it works on a drive that has been partitioned and formatted like you say you have done.

Recommendations? How about backups? Too late for now, but it's a good idea.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I forgot to mention that you can download a trial version of Data Rescue 4 to test with to see if it can recover the data you lost.

OP
S
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that you can download a trial version of Data Rescue 4 to test with to see if it can recover the data you lost.

Well no need for the program I guess. I forgot I import all my pictures through iPhoto and luckily iPhoto has them!

Guess only things I lost were some videos I recorded through my iPhone and all that stuff. Oh well better than nothing :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess only things I lost were some videos I recorded through my iPhone and all that stuff. Oh well better than nothing

If you haven't reset your iPhone, the videos are still there but perhaps hidden or in a deleted status. You may be able to recover them and export them to your Mac by using iExplorer.

OP
S
Reaction score
If you haven't reset your iPhone, the videos are still there but perhaps hidden or in a deleted status. You may be able to recover them and export them to your Mac by using iExplorer.

I wish I could, but the pictures and videos were accumulated from the iPhone 4- current iPhone and I don't have access to my older phones anymore. Thanks though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.