No charging, no LED

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Hi,

Today I was playing Pillars of Eternity (great game) for the first time on my MBP, with the charger attached as I tend to do if playing games. Initially it seemed fine, but then after a few hours I got a low battery warning message.

A brief investigation showed no LED activity on my MagSafe 2 charger, and battery down to 9%. I tried a different wall socket, and tried the extended plug fitting rather than the short one I normally use. No difference.

After a bit of searching it tried resetting the SMC and resenting PRAM. Still no effect.

Any other suggestions before I go buy another MagSafe 2? Unfortunately I don't have a second one or know anyone with one.

Mac specs to the left, running the latest Yosemite release.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before you invest in a new MagSafe Adapter Charger, what is the condition of your battery? I would test the battery first to see if perhaps that was the problem.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's pretty decent? Power info says full capacity is 8489mAH and the cycle count is 84.

When I attach the MagSafe it still says 'Connected: no' implying it doesn't recognise the presence of the charger?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your battery seems to be OK. With only 84 cycles on it, it should have plenty of life left in it. It's too bad the MagSafe has gone south, they're not exactly inexpensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I think it's pretty decent? Power info says full capacity is 8489mAH and the cycle count is 84.

When I attach the MagSafe it still says 'Connected: no' implying it doesn't recognise the presence of the charger?

Hi Dbm - my MagSafe charger for my early '13 MBPro became frayed (see HERE) and I was still under AppleCare - as explained in the thread, I received a 'free' replacement - so, if you have the extended warranty, then worth a try - Dave :)

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave, I saw your posts when I did a search on this topic. There is no visible fraying on my charging cable, though there is a slight noise barely audible when I wiggle the mag head relative to the wire.

Unfortunately I didn't take an extended warranty for my MBP - the only Apple device I have that on is my watch as it naturally has the highest risk profile.

Thanks anyway :)

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MagSafe 2 - problem solved! Phew!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.