Trash taking a huge amount of time to empty

Reaction score
New to OS Yosemite, I have a IMac I7 27", just had a new SSD and 2TB HHD put in. It has taken 3 days to empty 6,300 items from the trash, still has 33,704 more to go. Is there a faster way to empty trash without using Terminal? Can I change back to regular Empty trash while Secure Empty trash is in porgress? Would it be faster? Do I need to cancel Emptying the trash in progress and start the whole process again?

OP
L
Reaction score
Just found the solution. Stopped the secure empty trash process, press option to regular empty trash and it deleted it immediately.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Stopped the secure empty trash process, press option to regular empty trash and it deleted it immediately.
The secure empty, as you've learned, take a long time primarily because it writes over the deleted file with random data and if you have a lot, it takes a lot of work to ensure that it works. Unless you absolutely need to do so, I'd avoid securely emptying the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't use Yosemite so I don't know if it has changed from earlier OS X versions, where there was an option to enable or disable it's default setting:
Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced -> "Empty Trash securely" option checkbox.

A complete waste of time and resources and excessive writes/rewrites wear and tear for the majority of users. ;)

And maybe add File Vault to that surplus list that Apple seems to be strongly suggesting to users to use with their latest OS's. :(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't use Yosemite so I don't know if it has changed from earlier OS X versions, where there was an option to enable or disable it's default setting:
Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced -> "Empty Trash securely" option checkbox.
(

I'm running the El Capitan beta and its still there as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.