• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

UK copyright law?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Even worse if you have Apple Match :Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Legislation against format shifting is over zealous legislating based on irrational fears that this somehow leads to stealing. Consequently, it's about criminalizing behaviour before it becomes criminal ("surely you'll be a criminal if you do it so we'll prevent you from doing it").

It seems like copyright legislation all over the world has become more restrictive in its enforcement. Here, thankfully, format shifting was legalized in the Copyright Act but Canada has some of the most restrictive laws on DRM circumvention in the world. In other words, we can format shift all we want unless it isn't wrapped in DRM (which most stuff seems to be these days). There's a logic in there somewhere...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just a wee bit out of touch isn't such a ruling considering that very little content is even sold on CD or DVD these days, and even the media players are becoming an optional device that needs to be purchased and connected somehow to even use the disks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just a wee bit out of touch isn't such a ruling considering that very little content is even sold on CD or DVD these days, and even the media players are becoming an optional device that needs to be purchased and connected somehow to even use the disks.
I'm sure the law is more general than that and refers to one's (in)ability to copy copyrighted content for personal use. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm sure the law is more general than that and refers to one's (in)ability to copy copyrighted content for personal use. ;)

I'd bet you're right. If the law doesn't already apply to content formats other than CD/DVD to on't going t take much of a lawyer to successfully argue that it should apply to all formats because the intent is to prevent such behavior.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't panic think British Police will have much more pressing problems than some old judge's ruling which no doubt will be appealed.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd bet you're right. If the law doesn't already apply to content formats other than CD/DVD to on't going t take much of a lawyer to successfully argue that it should apply to all formats because the intent is to prevent such behavior.
Ah yes, the ol' "intent" or "spirit" of the law argument.

Don't panic think British Police will have much more pressing problems than some old judge's ruling which no doubt will be appealed.
It probably will but there is precedent (at least international). You'd be able to better speak to this Harry but is it not the case that you're allowed to format shift in Australia but not rip DVDs? I think the key here is that you can't circumvent DRM which is probably what this law is trying to reaffirm (although with unnecessary zeal).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One would guess the case was brought about by the musicians and performing artists unions, authors and art groups against folk burning CDs and distributing amongst friends and for amatuer DJs and Karaoke hosts copying music to disc and using at wedding receptions, amatuer nights, birthday parties etc. It has amazed me living in a seniors residential facility how much copying of movie CDs goes on after folk hire from a 'video' store or purchase their own movie. The copies are circulated amongst friends or used at 'movie nights' in a community centre, all against the original concept of copyright.

If one were performing something was entitled to do, copying older Mac Operating Systems strictly for one's own use, or burning digital download operating systems to a thumb drive, this may well be outside the court's considerations.

One can understand musicians, artists, authors etc being concerned about the illegal copying of their material, as it is after all their livelihood. Ask chas m about his views on his copyright material!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-09/kohler-its-not-all-stream-ahead-for-the-music-industry/5010718

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Copyright laws are only effective at stoping law biding citizens.. Just like locks on a door, only keeps the honest people out. :-/

That said, I thought at least in the US you was allowed to make you legal data backup of any media you physically owned?

That said, the the media tycoons really want to stop or take the wind out of pirating. Then quit charging so dang much for DVD's and CD's.. They created this issue by being so greedy.. I buy all my music from iTunes now, just because I feel $9.99 for a music CD is a fair deal. So why are CD disc at best buy still 19.99 or 24.99.. That disc only cost a freaking nickel for crying out loud.. Movies cost also should be slashed in half. IMHO...

C

chas_m

That said, I thought at least in the US you was allowed to make you legal data backup of any media you physically owned?

Lots of people think that, but the text of the DMCA makes it very clear they are mistaken. There have been a few holes poked in the DMCA over the years, but anything copy-protected cannot, by law, be circumvented for any reason whatsoever: not for backup, not for academic use, not for commentary, nor any other reason.

This is of course ridiculous, and until the Conservatives got into power Canada was in most areas much more sensible about the concept of personal use. Thanks, Harper ...

I can't comment on the UK laws because I haven't seen them, but this sort of thing generally backfires eventually, either by creating a market for pirated stuff or methods to circumvent the DRM/copy protection, or by consumers eventually bringing pressure to bear when the silliness of it eventually finds a case that embodies it ("Mom sentenced to 99 years for copying Scooby-Doo DVDs so her kids wouldn't keep destroying the paid-for originals," et al).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Ban DVD's, or short of that create a national registry and require a background check to buy one. For the children.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I can't comment on the UK laws because I haven't seen them, but this sort of thing generally backfires eventually, either by creating a market for pirated stuff or methods to circumvent the DRM/copy protection, or by consumers eventually bringing pressure to bear when the silliness of it eventually finds a case that embodies it ("Mom sentenced to 99 years for copying Scooby-Doo DVDs so her kids wouldn't keep destroying the paid-for originals," et al).

We have a noble tradition of ignoring laws we think are silly here in the UK. People were ripping their music to iTunes before the law was changed to make it legal, and they still will now it is illegal again.

Generally any prosecution has to meet a 'public interest' threshold. The Crown Prosecution Service wouldn't go for a regular Joe who has ripped their own stuff and isn't downloading or putting things out for anyone to take. They would only prosecute someone who is a blatant abuser of format shifting.

Last edited:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ban DVD's, or short of that create a national registry and require a background check to buy one. For the children.
It's all part of the Ministry of Truth's plan. ;)

We have a noble tradition of ignoring laws we think are silly here in the UK. People were ripping their music to iTunes before the law was changed to make it legal, and they still will now it is illegal again.
This is the problem with laws such as this - people aren't really doing a company any damage if the copying isn't for the purposes of dissemination. If I made 10 copies of a movie at home but don't broadcast it/disseminate it, am I really doing any damage?

C

chas_m

Yes, you are doing damage -- to the value of your own time, because you are wasting it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.