iMovie to Usb memory stick

aum

Reaction score
Have just made a movie on 8 GB.
Trying to transfer it to a Usb memory stick on 16 GB.
Doesn't work when I want it in good quality.
What to do? :Confused:

OP
A

aum

Reaction score
How to save an iMovie-movie in two parts?

Would like to divide a big movie in 2 parts...to make it easier to save on Usb memory stick.
How to do ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which version of iMovie??

C

chas_m

The reason is that iMovie needs a LOT of temporary space to render the movie.

Simple solution: save the movie to your own hard drive in the format you want to use. Then copy the finished movie file to the USB drive.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good thinking Chas. That should have occurred to me when I read this question the first time.

One thing that iMovie does not always make crystal clear is the difference between the space needed for rendering (which can be quite large) and the space needed to save the finished movie (often much smaller).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Doesn't work when I want it in good quality.
Doing as chas_m suggests will probably solve the problem.

Would like to divide a big movie in 2 parts...to make it easier to save on Usb memory stick.
How to do ??
If you do the above, there should be no need to do that, but if you want to, then:
1. Duplicate your Project
2. Open the Original Project, delete the first half and then Share that to File.
3. Open the Duplicate Project, delete the second half and then Share that to File.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.