Setup a backup system

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
I want to move all of my files to an external drive to improve the performance of my iMac, and I am considering using the Western Digital Cloud.

I want to continue to backup my OS and files.

What is the best way to set this up? Should I backup my OS and keep files on a WD Cloud device then backup files to a second external drive, or should I backup OS to an external drive, store my files to a second external device (WD Cloud) and backup files to a third external drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How full is the hard drive in your iMac? Moving all your files is a drastic way to improve performance. If your hard drive is around 80% full then you can consider moving files such as music, videos, and photos to an external hard drive. There may be other factors that are slowing down the performance of your iMac. You should continue to backup everything whether it's on the iMac or an external hard drive. How you do that is up to you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Hard drive is at 64%.
Mostly takes several minutes to come out of sleep and other times its almost immediate.
I mostly have photos taking up the space.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@MarkWeb

The first thing to stress is that irrespective of the size of your HD or how much space is left, you really need to have a backup (BU) strategy. It's a fundamental principle of computing.

There are several BU strategies:

1. Use Time Machine. Not bootable, but great for recovering an inadvertently deleted file and is a reliable means of restoring your OS, settings, files, folders, everything to a new Mac.

2. A cloning software option such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! It is bootable which means you can get your Mac booted up in an emergency situation. You can also copy back your clone from the EHD to a new Mac or new HD.

3. An online BU service such as CrashPlan. Takes a while to upload (sometimes days or weeks) and can be a little slow to restore to a new HD or Mac, but is at least in the cloud and not in your home.

4. You can move your iPhoto, Photos, Aperture, iTunes Libraries to one or more EHDs and run them from there (creates space on your HD); or simply use them as another form of BU - although you will have to keep them up to date manually.

These are just a few ideas. Come back to us if you need advice on setting them up. Apart from online BU, all require you have, or purchase, EHDs. But these are incredibly cheap nowadays especially compared with the cost of your Mac and the personal loss of precious data.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
At 64% full your erratic wake from sleep times are probably attributable to something else entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@MarkWeb

The first thing to stress is that irrespective of the size of your HD or how much space is left, you really need to have a backup (BU) strategy. It's a fundamental principle of computing.

There are several BU strategies:

1. Use Time Machine. Not bootable, but great for recovering an inadvertently deleted file and is a reliable means of restoring your OS, settings, files, folders, everything to a new Mac.

2. A cloning software option such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! It is bootable which means you can get your Mac booted up in an emergency situation. You can also copy back your clone from the EHD to a new Mac or new HD.

3. An online BU service such as CrashPlan. Takes a while to upload (sometimes days or weeks) and can be a little slow to restore to a new HD or Mac, but is at least in the cloud and not in your home.

4. You can move your iPhoto, Photos, Aperture, iTunes Libraries to one or more EHDs and run them from there (creates space on your HD); or simply use them as another form of BU - although you will have to keep them up to date manually.

These are just a few ideas. Come back to us if you need advice on setting them up. Apart from online BU, all require you have, or purchase, EHDs. But these are incredibly cheap nowadays especially compared with the cost of your Mac and the personal loss of precious data.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Many thanks for that. Yes I do have a Seagate EHD setup with Time Machine, but I came across the Western Digital Cloud which interested me but I am not sure about the best way to set it up if I go for it.

What appeals is that there are no ongoing charges and the photos can be accessed from anywhere via a smartphone, iPad etc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At 64% full your erratic wake from sleep times are probably attributable to something else entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums.

Thank you. Can you suggest where to start looking for problems which may cause this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.