Cannot find .jpg files in Finder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 8.1, OS X 10.8.5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 266Ghz, L2 Cache 6MB, Mem 4GB
Hi, hope that someone can help me.
I've imported photos from my iPhone 6 and want to compress them. I can see the photos in iPhoto (info gives filename for example IMG_6563) but I cannot locate the .jpg files with Finder to compress them. I do a search on All My Files in Finder. Can somebody give me some clues? Many thanks for your help, Bob

C

chas_m

That won't work. For a variety of reasons:

1. JPG files are already compressed, and can't really be compressed any further.
2. iPhoto hides its library specifically because people mess with it without knowing what they are doing, and corrupt the database, causing much misery and potentially lost data.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chas_m,

Many thanks for your response.

Then I guess that Apple must have changed iPhone in later upgrades to hide its library as I can see all .jpg files in Finder imported before 2011 or so. Anyway, I have to work around sending many photos in another way if I cannot ZIP them on an Apple.

Regards,
westhoffb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi, hope that someone can help me.
I've imported photos from my iPhone 6 and want to compress them. I can see the photos in iPhoto (info gives filename for example IMG_6563) but I cannot locate the .jpg files with Finder to compress them. I do a search on All My Files in Finder. Can somebody give me some clues? Many thanks for your help, Bob

Hi Bob - I cannot help as to further compressing your JPEG files in iPhoto (may not be possible)? BUT, JPEG files as already stated by Chas_m are compressed image files (standard is about 10:1, a typical compression similar to MP3 audio files); however, further compression can be done (analogous to the audio codec) in Finder - not sure how many you want to 'down-size' but an explantation follows.

If an image is brought into Preview and then the File menu is chosen w/ the 'Option' key held down, a 'Save As' choice is offered (see the first two images below) - noticed that the first pic is 'High' JPEG resolution, and the second pic is where I have moved the bar to a lower resolution and then saved an image. The last two images show the pic modify - the first one is 733 KB and the one saved at the lower JPEG resolution is 57 KB (according to the Info on each one). SO, bottom line is that you can certainly lower the storage on your images w/ a possible loss of detail - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 10.51.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 10.52.32 PM.png

RiverArtsDistrict1.png

RiverArtsDistrict2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave

Many thanks, I've tried it and it works; 1.9Mb -> 190Kb and quality is the same. But, I need a .jpg file to open in Preview and my issue is that I cannot locate the .jpg files (approx 80) I want to down-size in Finder. The only way I can find the images is through iPhoto. Is there a way to bring an image into Preview from IPhoto?

Thx, Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave

Many thanks, I've tried it and it works; 1.9Mb -> 190Kb and quality is the same. But, I need a .jpg file to open in Preview and my issue is that I cannot locate the .jpg files (approx 80) I want to down-size in Finder. The only way I can find the images is through iPhoto. Is there a way to bring an image into Preview from IPhoto?

Hi again Bob - please provide information on the Apple computer you are using (model/year) and the OS X installed - iPhoto has been replaced by Photos in the current operating system, so important for responders to know your specs.

My suggestion is to get your photos from the phone into your 'Pictures' folder in Finder, then you can easily open the images in Finder - there are a number of options, either wired or wireless, BUT an easy one is to use 'Image Capture' in the Applications folder - just cable your phone to your computer and open the app - let us know if this is satisfactory; if not, then explain your needs - good luck. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just select ALL the images in iPhoto you want, and export them into a Folder on the Desktop, and from there open the images and Save As to your requirements. It is 1 extra move by Exporting the images, but it works.

C

chas_m

Even simpler:

1. Select the photos you want to send in iPhoto
2. In Finder, create an empty folder on the desktop.
3. Change the size of the iPhoto window so that you can see the desktop, and drag the selected photos to the folder on the desktop. This will make a copy of the photos, but you won't need it for long.
4. Prior to compressing the folder, you may wish to rename or batch-rename the files to remove spaces (if any are present). So change things like "mom's kitchen.jpg" to "mom_kitchen.jpg" for example. This will help older PCs in particular open the photos correctly.
5. Right-click or control-click on the folder on the desktop, choose "Compress [name of folder]." This creates a ZIP file you can rename if you want. Email or dropbox or whatever the resulting ZIP file (remember, large ZIP files don't email well).

Once sent, you can trash the zipped folder.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Chas_m, Dave and TattooedMac,

Thank you so much for all your directions, you helped me to get exactly what I was looking for. I managed to create the desktop folder with .jpg files by just copying those images from iPhoto and then ZIP'ed the desktop folder. Just to let you know that the pics are from my mothers 90th BD party with the whole family, so now I can send the Zipped file to my sister and she can show our mother the pics, she will be very happy :). Absolutely great …. thanks again.

Regards
Bob

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
For the benefit of others reading the thread: I can tell you from experience that it is possible to compress .jpg files further especially with graphics software. Photoshop (and other) for example gives you some degree of control over the level of compression. If the compression settings are too low you will notice a difference.

Ultimately how far you can go with compression depends in large part upon how the image is used. The OP's 190k file is probably fine for their purposes. Take that image and try to turn it into an 8 x10 photo and it won't work so well (pixelates badly). I know few people print photos popore but you get the point.

C

chas_m

A 1.9MB JPG photo compressed to 190K is going to look craptastic on any monitor, at any size, unless the person viewing it has incredibly bad eyesight. You've just thrown out 90 percent of the information in the photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ultimately how far you can go with compression depends in large part upon how the image is used. The OP's 190k file is probably fine for their purposes. Take that image and try to turn it into an 8 x10 photo and it won't work so well (pixelates badly). I know few people print photos popore but you get the point.

A 1.9MB JPG photo compressed to 190K is going to look craptastic on any monitor, at any size, unless the person viewing it has incredibly bad eyesight. You've just thrown out 90 percent of the information in the photo.

Well, I'd have to agree w/ Sly.... above, i.e. reducing an image's pixel size to 10% of the original may still be fine to present on a computer monitor, especially if set for the usual standard of 72 ppi - e.g. see the first image below, a pic of a glass globe - original pixel size next to one reduced by the amount shown - difficult for me to tell the difference.

BUT for the OP and as pointed out in the first quote above, if you want to make prints eventually, then SAVE those originals because ppi translate to dpi when printed and the standard is 300 dpi, i.e. you need ALL of those extra pixels to get a good print - look at the second image showing the pixels needed for decent prints at various sizes - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 11.56.01 AM.png

resolution_chart.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.