Time Machine questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
I keep my data on USB drives, I install to do work, then remove so data is not available if my computer is ever compromised. 1) If my ext. TM drive is continually connected, would TM write this data on it's drive? 2) Do I remove TM when plugging in my external USBs to prevent this? 3) Do I even need to run TM if I have a CCC ext HD available? 4) I know they do different things, but since I keep all my data on external drives, would in still need to run TM?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't need to worry about "ghost" (local snapshots) backups when your TM backup drive is disconnected as that does not apply to an iMac. And yes, you should be making TM backups on a regular basis in addition to CCC backups.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From your answer I believe: The answer to 1) is yes. And 2), I should be removing my TM drive when connecting my external drives with data. I will continue to run TM. Found a recommendation on another Mac forum site : They recommend to having two ext. TM drives and two ext. CCC backup drives and to alternate them from time to time in case one or the other fails. I will be doing that once I buy another two external drives.

C

chas_m

No, that's incorrect. Time Machine only backs up data on the local boot drive, so it ignores data on other drives, including your thumb drive.

Don't you think it would be a lot easier (and safer) to use a small encrypted disk image to store your work files? That USB drive is **going** to fail at some point and then where will your work files be?

The recommendation to have two Time Machine drives and two CCC drives seems a little silly to me, personally. If your computer is working, you have your original, and then you have your Time Machine and/or CCC clone, that's a backup. What are the odds of ALL these drives failing? Pretty low.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I wouldn't make 2 TM backups either. I would make 2 cloned backups and keep 1 of them off-site rotating the 2 drives once every week or two.

If you're keeping data on a separate drive - do you have a backup of that drive and update the backup every time you work with that data?
If your data is that important, seems that would be more important than having 3 much less 4 backups of the operating system.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. One TM drive...Connected. But I agree with bobtomay with having 2 CCC drives. One offsite and one here. And rotating them every so often. Not so much for a drive failure, but for a catastrophe...burglary, fire, natural disaster, Klingon invasion, etc.
"Don't you think it would be a lot easier (and safer) to use a small encrypted disk image to store your work files?" Yes...probably...problem is I don't know how to set up a small encrypted disk image on my HD. This encrypted disk image would include a list of ALL my passwords, my tax returns and other financial information among other things. Not sure how good the encryption would be in the event some malware ended up on my HD. But if you say it's safe, I'll try it...if you can tell me how. Thanks again to all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Sawday for that attachment. i printed it out and will be doing it shortly. I also put 'OS X Daily' down as one of my Favorite sites, as I do have an iPad air 2 but haven't had the time to transfer or download music to it yet. Thanks also to chas_m for the info on using encryption files.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.